Chapter nine

When Rebekah strolled into the lounge in the morning, she did not expect to be greeted by the sight of a dead woman bleeding all over the coffee table

When Rebekah strolled into the lounge in the morning, she did not expect to be greeted by the sight of a dead woman bleeding all over the coffee table. Elijah sat on a chair opposite the table, while Niklaus lounged on the sofa, Ellika laying down with her head in his lap. She was making sure to look away from the dead body, still feeling rather grossed out by the sight of the blood. The three inhabitants of the room did not say a word, all sitting with books in hand. It would all seem rather peaceful if it wasn't for the corpse.

"So this what you do the first time we're back together as a family, vampire book club?" Rebekah asked, shocked that with all that was happening, her siblings had decided reading in front of a dead body was the best use of their time.

"Reading edifies the mind, sister," Niklaus replied half-heartedly, tuning a page before beginning to run his fingers through Ellika's hair, "Isn't that right, Elijah?"

"Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus," Elijah said, also not elaborating.

"And what's this business?" She gestured to the dead woman as she spoke, annoyed at her brothers' lack of answer.

"This a," Elijah sighed in disappointment towards his brother, "peace offering."

"I presumed after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish," Niklaus said, a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"And I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought," Elijah stated, finally looking up from his book,  "I would simply prefer to see a change in behaviour that indicates contrition, and personal growth. Not this nonsense."

"Well I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?" Klaus smirked at his brother.

Rebekah rolled her eyes at their childish bickering. "Well I suppose I'll fetch the rubbish bin because she's staining a two hundred year old carpet." She then left the room to do just that.

Elijah looked up from reading to see the trail of blood from the woman's neck had, in fact, dripped off the table and onto their very old, very expensive carpet. "Oh yes.." he sighed with annoyance.

A few more seconds of silence ensued before the youngest original returned, carrying rubber gloves and a bottle of bleach. "You know, I'm surprised you aren't rounding up the witches to slaughter. I would've thought Agnes would be dead by now considering all the threats you've been throwing around."

"On the contrary, sister, I am simply deciding how to finally dispose with that sorry excuse of a witch. I'm thinking tearing off her limbs one by one should do it nicely." Klaus replied, his tone light, but his eyes dark with rage.

"Need I remind you, Niklaus," spoke Elijah, "That we can not kill any witches while Ellika and Sophie remain linked. What's to stop Sophie from killing herself in retaliation?" 

"Yes, well I think it's time we put an end to that little problem, isn't it?" Niklaus replied.

"I couldn't agree more, brother," Elijah said, "Which is why, as part of my deal with Davina, I agreed to share a few pages from mother's grimoire with her. It'll help her to learn how to control her magic." He tore some pages out of the grimoire in his lap, before continuing, "I thought we'd begin with a little unlinking spell."