Chapter 3

"That would be $9.36" The cashier said after taking the reciept from the machine.

     I raised an eyebrow. "Excuse you?"

     She turned to me with a puzzled look on her face. I read her name tag and it says Maddy. She looked like around my age.

     "Those socks were suppose to be 50% off." I pointed.

     "Uh," she looked at me then to the monitor. "The computer didn't say so. You must be mistaken."

     All I wanted was socks and she's getting on my nerves. You guessed it right. Everything gets in my nerve easily.

      "Again, excuse you." I gave her my cold stare that made her fidget on her ground. "Are you calling me a liar, Maddy?"

     "O-Oh, no, ma'am. It's just the computer doesn't s-say it." She backed away as if my stare was walking up to her face.

     "Same thing. I'm not stupid. The fucking cardboard says it." I pointed at the direction where I git the bloody socks which was somewhere behind me. "What happens to 'customers are always right'?" I squinted my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest. I am aware that I look what I look like when I send students in the principal's office.

     "I, uh, I didn't-"

     "I'll talk to the manager."

     Yes, it's for the good ol' socks.

     The manager walks up to me and I pull my wrath all over him. I cursed. I accused and I got 80% off the socks.

     Like who wouldn't give me extra off? We went towards the rack where I got the socks and it was clear in red printed paint that it was 50% off. I said I wouldn't come back at that store because the staffs were judgemental and reckless and calls me liar which the manager apologized for and gave me extra credit.

     Ha! That's how Inggrid Brook for you. Now, I have extra money to buy myself some icecream and celebrate my glory.

     I walked out of the store with a smug smile as I clutched the paper bag in my hands.

     I bought myself icecream on a sugar cone.

     The sky was a beautiful mixture of blue, violet, orange, pink and gold. The sun was just setting. The wind was cold but bearable.

     I decided that it was good to walk around my good old town. Something I haven't done in years since I drown myself with books or extra curricular activities at school.

     It's a fine Saturday afternoon and it's perfect to chill. It's not like I have a huge project due on Monday.

     School hasn't been all that hell-like on the first week. Though, I should get ready on the coming week and the week after that and after that- the whole year actually. I know it'll be hell of a ride but, hey, it's my last year. After that, college. Damn, I have to get to Reedley.

     But I have to relax for a bit. I haven't done that in years might as well do it now.

     As I endulged my chocolate flavored ice cream, I sauntered down the sidewalk and watched kids ride their bicycles as dry and dead leaves from trees shower over them on the sidewalks. I watched as a group of five middleschoolers walk pass me laughing and talking like the world doesn't bother them but they clearly bothered the old lady sitying on her porch and yelled at the middleschoolers for being so loud.

     I continued my mini-adventure.

     I came across the playground I used to go to when I was six every Sunday but it was completely shut down. There was a wire fenced surrounding it amlnd the entrance was locked with vines and other plants.