Close to death.

It had been three whole days without seeing Jasper. When Margaret sat down at the table with the Cullens she faced Rosalie and Alice.

"Is he okay?" She asked. Alice didn't have Jasper's gift of empathy, or Edward's gift of mind reading, but she had been a good friend - more like a great friend - and she could tell she was preoccupied. "Have i-" She recomposed herself. "Did I say something? Do something that might've offended him?" Her eyes were searching, Alice laid her cold hand on hers reassuringly, but it was Michael who spoke.

"He's been a little under the weather, nothing to worry about." He assured her.

"Yeah, Carlisle has been looking after him, Maggie, he's in good hands," Alice added. After her social media rebellion, everyone began calling her Maggie again, no questions asked. She was thankful for that. After hearing the news she felt somewhat relieved.

"You have done nothing wrong," Rosalie spoke, catching Maggie by surprise. Rosalie, even though she seemed to like her, didn't socialize as much as her other brothers or her boyfriend Emmett. Over the course of these days, she had found out a lot about the Cullens, and they had practically adopted her into their clan. Rosalie, Alice, and her were practically inseparable, even in Alice was more outgoing and enthusiastic than her sister, Margaret cared for both of them greatly.

"Yeah, he spoke for hours about you." The broad-shouldered boy commented with a playful smirk. Maggie blushed bright red, lowering her eyes. Emmett, she had learned, always had something to say. She loved hanging out with the Cullens, somehow it was as if they all had known her for a very long time, even if, for some strange reason, she felt a pull towards Jasper, they all seemed to read her like an open book.

"Could you just tell him I said hi?" She asked. They all agreed to do so, and having art with Alice after lunch made her feel even better.

So the day went on and after hugging her friends and promising to get together that weekend just Alice, Rosalie and her, to go shopping she got in her car and drove away.

***

"She asked about you again," Rosalie informed when she got to Jasper's room. Jasper was curled up against his bed, back facing the doorway and staring at the vastness of the forest. He hugged his knees close to his chest.

"I can't let Alice's vision come true." He mumbled. "I can't let her get hurt again." He rocked himself back and forth.

"Jasper Whitlock Hale, you look at me when I speak to you!" His twin hissed. The boy instantly got to his feet at looked at her, his head slightly lowered. "I remember how broken Margaret was when she received the telegraph that thought you dead." She declared, her hand shaking slightly. "And I've seen her these last three days, Jazz." Her voice broke, tears in her eyes that would never fall. Jasper feeling her snapped his eyes to hers.

"How was she?" He urged immediately.

"She believes she offended you, she thinks you're avoiding her." She explained, marking her words. Jasper dropped on the bed, numbly. "She insisted we told you that she says hi." She added.

"I've messed up." He whispered. "What have I done?" He asked, mostly to himself. He had never worked under the terms of a mating bond, but in that moment he realized how dangerous it could be. He remembered Carlisle's words, and he felt the urge to protect her unconditionally, but he wasn't doing that now and it ached within him. He might explode if he didn't see her soon.

"Jasper." Rosalie sighed. "You know what it's like to have a mating bond, you have felt what Esme and Carlisle feel. What Alice and Michael feel, what Emmett and I feel." She listed. "So you know how weak and mad it can make you push yourself away from her." Jasper nodded vaguely. "You know how much pain you can cause her if you continue like this." Rosalie placed her hand on his brother's shoulder.