I can't hold back for much longer.

Jasper had rushed out of his car the second he had felt something off with the mating bond. Nothing could've stopped him at that moment, nothing, not even Paul who was following him, veins pulsing through his biceps.

"Jasper!" He called out behind him, his feet striking the floor with a constant rhythm. "Jasper, stop!"

"If you controlled your pups maybe I wouldn't be forced to do this!" He spat, fire in his eyes, never ceasing his quick steps. Paul rushed over to his side, jogging to catch up to him.

"Careful Jasper. That we both care for Maggie does not mean I'll allow you to speak that way about my pack." He was in front of him, blocking his way. Their eyes met for a long tense moment.

"We both know that is not true." Jasper licked his lips as he spoke, his eyes drifting away, but there was no response. Paul's emotions changed though, he was nervous, afraid. "You love her." His chest lifted as he took a deep breath, his tanned chest expanding, the tattoos on his arms spreading with each breath. Their eyes met again, but this time, Paul saw something in his eyes, like a shimmer of gold. The mating bond. He saw it for a split second, he could smell it on him, feel its autentithity, as if Jasper had been veiling it, hiding it from all creatures.

He blinked, and when he opened his eyes again, Jasper had gone. It took him little time to track him, mainly because he knew where he was headed. Everything went by so fast and yet in his eyes it all seemed to go by on slow motion, Jacob threatening Maggie, while Bella stood motionless.

For some reason he didn't tell Jacob why he had let Jasper go unharmed, he didn't tell Sam of the incident. He just laid on his bed, eyes fixed on the ceiling, that moment playing on repeat on his head.

You love her. Then he saw the mating bond. Over and over again.

It was torture.

***

Jasper wasn't walking too fast for Margaret to follow him, but the way his feet struck the ground walking up from the beach implied he wasn't in the mood to talk about what happened. That's why Maggie kept quiet all the way to his car. Even after they had gotten in and the doors had closed they sat in silence for a while.

"Thank you," She breathed, barely audible, but he caught it. Her eyes were distant, barely focusing on the things in front of her. "for coming for me, even if I told you not to." Jasper laid his hand on hers, offering comfort.

"I'll always come for you, Margaret, always." He was looking at her, her eyes shone as they looked back at him, a soft smile pulling at her lips. "Hey, why don't you spend the night at my house, have a break from-"

"From my sister?" She finished, looking up at him. There wasn't an awkward tension between them, it was a short, but comfortable silence for a second, in which they simply looked at each other. Jasper, after having unveiled the mating bond to Paul could only see that in her eyes. The gold flashing, like a rope tying them together and pulling tighter. He chuckled, as his free hand settled itself on the steering wheel.

"Yeah, but just overall. You work too hard, besides, I might have something planned." He winked at her, both of them breaking into laughter. It was always this way with Jasper, he knew what to say to make her feel better, what to do to take her mind off of things, it was perfect.

They stopped at her house so she could pack a bag for the night, and have a chance to tell her father that she was sleeping over with Rosalie and Alice. Jasper was waiting for her outside his car, talking with Carlisle over the phone. Maggie tried to be quick abut it, just as she closed the door behind her she walked directly into the living room, where, as expected, Charlie was sitting, watching last week's game.