Vampires

They talked for a few more minutes, Jasper working up his courage to tell her the truth. It was a lot to take in, and he decided that he would go slowly, he would tell her about the mating bond eventually, but not today. Rosalie's eyes snapped at the ceiling, and everyone could hear the change in her heartbeat.

"She's waking up," Rosalie informed.

***

A light was shining over Margaret when she opened her eyes. She looked around, moving her head to the side. She was in a big room, with tall windows and surrounded by trees. She sat up, pinching her nose between her index finger and her thumb. The headache began to settle in. From downstairs she heard voices, talking over a phone and between them. The memories are still fuzzy in her memory, but she remembered bits and pieces of them. She had known Jasper, a long, long time ago. Still, a little dizzy, she walked to the window and stared through it at the vastness of the woods. She heard footsteps behind her, but she didn't turn.

"Hi," the soft and velvety voice of Jasper melted around her. In some way, it made her feel comfortable and safe, even with the millions of questions she had in mind. "How are you feeling?" He walked closer, reaching the window and leaning over it, peeking at her face. Smooth waves of comfort radiated from her.

"Mentally or physically?" She wondered, a hint of sarcasm ringing through the air. Jasper let out a huffed breath, not knowing if he should laugh.

"Both?" His voice rang in her head, the memories flushed back with strength. Margaret turned to face him then, a smile slowly creeping its way into her face.

"I'm still a little confused," she began, her eyes distant, traveling through the room. "I can't distinguish what was real from what was my unconsciousness." She hummed. The memories faded as she tried to run after them.

"I," Jasper commenced, scratching the back of his neck instinctively. "I wanted to talk to you about that." Those words were so hard for him to utter, but he managed to get them out, looking at his mate through his lashes. His mate. He would never tire of hearing it. Margaret furrowed her brows slightly as she looked at him, obviously still puzzled. "I'm sure you have questions, so ask away." Margaret was lost in his eyes, but the need for answers was so strong within her that she managed to begin her interrogation.

"How did I get here?" She had wondered about that for a few minutes, she remembers picking up Alice's call at around five, but when she had woken it was only five-thirty. How could all of that have happened in such a short time?

"Alice called us, we all went looking for you." He spoke carefully, knowing perfectly well that answer wouldn't suffice.

"How did all that happen in less than thirty minutes?" Margaret looked intensely at him, then sighed, heading back to the couch and sitting there, her hands intertwined. "Jasper, I-" She began, then laughed at her thoughts. "I have no idea what's happening and I can only imagine what may have happened but it only makes things worse, so please," she breathed. "Please just tell me, be truthful, and be over with it." She pleaded, her eyes shining with tears, for a brief second Jasper thought that was how she would've looked when she heard the news of his death.

"It's not something easy to say." Jasper managed, his jaw tightening. "It's not something I would be able to say, in normal conditions." He sighed.

"What do you mean?" Margaret asked, something clicking in her brain. Jasper looked at her, sensing the concern and confusion that flowed out of her. "Jasper, what do you mean?" She asked again. He didn't even know why, but he knelt in front of her and took her hands in his, her eyes shooting to meet his.

"Fiona Margaret Swan, I need you to swear to me you won't speak of what I'm about to expose right now. Telling you simply puts my family and me in danger." His voice was solemn, erasing Margaret's smile in a blink.