Heartache and Hidden Desires

It had been one of the hardest things he had ever done. His body physically hurt as he stepped away, he couldn't even bare to look at her. His eyes wouldn't lay on her, it was too painful. Jasper knew he had to tell her, he wanted to blurt out the reason why he couldn't carry on. It wouldn't be fair to her. She had to know.

Both of them stayed quiet, neither really knowing what to say. Maggie felt helpless, as if whatever she said would only end up hurting her more. Her eyes couldn't handle it anymore, and the tears began rolling down. This pinched at Jasper's heart in the most excruciating way possible.

"No, Maggie, I'm sorry-" He was next to her again in a second. She avoided his hands, and eyes, letting the tears roll down silently.

"I'm sorry. I guess I must've thought we both- I don't know." Her fingers toyed with the edge of her pijama shirt.

"Hey, look at me, Maggs." His hand managed to cup her cheek, "I love you, and I want to be with you until the end of my days, and even after that." Her eyes found his, they were expectant, waiting for him to end his sentence. "I just want it to be right. I want it to be a moment you will cherish, not just a distant memory." She understood, she thought it was nice that he wanted it to be memorable, but at the same time she felt rejected, and it was something she wasn't able to push away.

***

The good thing about school was that she managed to take her mind off her overthinking and overanalyzing. She had history before lunch, and during the whole class she couldn't control her eyes from peeking at Jasper, he was tense, even more than usual if that was even possible. Margaret was sure he knew she kept glancing over at him, but he said nothing about it. There was something on his mind, something he wouldn't tell her.

"Hey," Jasper stopped her just as the bell rang, his hand slightly trembling. "The day has cleared." His eyes shifting between their honey gold and a black abyss, like an undernetath war that he fought on his own and told no one.

"Ah, um, yeah. You should go-" Maggie went back to packing her bag. It was killing her, this awkwardness, this silence, each word stung like a splinter in her heart.

"I'll call you. I don't want us to be like this, I want to fix it." Her overthinking seemed to cease for a second, and there was only that thick and heavy feeling of love. She loved him, she most likely always would.

"I love you, Jazz. I always will." She felt relieved, as if all the worry and doubt in her had fallen behind. Jasper seemed to be relieved too, but she couldn't quite tell because her lips were on his so fast neither registered it until the hunger for each other consumed them.

***

It was true, it was a lovely day, the sun shone like it never did in Forks, and the air was warm and soothing. Jessica and Angela wanted to have lunch outside, and Bella just tagged along.

They were sitting - more like laying - on the tables outside, absorbing all the vitamin D that they physically could.

"Ah! Don't you just love the sun?" Angela sighed, her sleeves were rolled up to her shoulders, making her short-sleeved top more of tank top.

"What I love is a chance to get tan before the dance without having to go to a salon." Maggie replied, eyes closed and mind freely roaming. Bella kept her squinting eyes looking at every single person that dared move.

"He's not here." Jessica stated, noticing Bella's restless eyes. "Whenever the weather's nice the Cullens disappear." She said, sighing.

"They just... ditch?" She questioned. Too many questions. It was making her anxious, she couldn't let her find out anything.