Chapter17

One year later,

It was nearly eleven o'clock at night. The night sky was aglow with a canopy of glittering stars. A black to navy gradient was the backdrop for a full moon. The moon, a glowing yellowy white, loomed large, surrounded by an ethereal glow. Millions of stars were sprinkled behind it, a few large ones but mostly a multitude of little white pin pricks. Every now and then, a twinkle caught her eye. Her pale face beamed widely. She, cladded in white silk saree, a fringed blue and multicoloured striped cotton sling bag hung over one shoulder and her Barrister robe folded in left hand as she was walking on a lonely street. Those two twinkling stars attracted her entire attention and resulted in, She collided with someone. Her eyes casted down at once only to meet some unfamiliar faces of children. The children were carrying blankets and boxes filled with things they wanted to sell; things that she didn't want to buy, but would.

She looked around her, the neighboring houses along the street seemed to be in deep slumber, but those homeless kids were walking on lonely street in the middle of night just to earn their livelihood. She couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness at the sight.

As the kids approached, she pulled some cash out of her purse and tucked it into her pocket. They looked much smaller when they were up close, their eyes wide with anticipation. She smiled at them but they didn't return the smile, just asked meekly if she wanted to buy anything. She looked over the little packs of gum and simple handmade wooden toys, picking a little bit of everything and buying a big, scratchy blanket. Even though they only asked for a few coins, she gave them everything she had in her pocket along with a picture asking them to come to that place in the morning. They finally offered a smile, then thanked her and ran off.

She let out a deep sigh, watching them until they disappeared out of her sight, and finally headed towards her house. an eerie silence prevailed the Haveli mingling with midnight stillness had sent chill down to her spine. She spared a glance at the dining table where food was kept. Probably for her. However, she wasn't in mood to have anything ran upstairs and threw herself on the bed. After a while their servent Rameshwar informed her something. She went to Trilochan's room and came out after almost half-an-hour. A drop of tear cascaded her eyes which she swiftly wiped off before it could cross her facial territory.

As she was passing by the study room one strong arm pulled her inside and before she could react she was pressed against the wall. In reflex she squeezed her eyes shut fearfully and a startled gasp escaped her lips. The room was dark. Dim light on the side table was only source of visibility. In the semi-darkness it was difficult to make out the illustrations, however, lack of movment from other side compelled her to turn other side after a few minutes, and the very next second herself was rendered motionless as her frightened eyes met his soulful one. His eyes were as gray as thick, prowling clouds in a thunderstorm. She tried but miserably failed to pull herself out of his intense gaze.

"May I have your attention Barrister Bondita Das..." He whispered in his deepest purr. Vibration of His thick voice and hot breath shuddered her entire being. With bated breathe she dared to voice,

"Wh-what...are yo-you..do.." But stopped adruptly feeling her hand being entwine with his as he leaned closer to her. "I think, I should file a case against my stubborn lover"

Her heart thudded wildly against rib feeling his warm palms caressing her hands sliding up and down her bare arms. She lowered her eyes or tried to do so, his long finger again made her face him. He had a subtle smile playing on lips.

She sucked in breathe searching for well set of words to put in. "I...I...I.. you......." Was in vain. His skin piercing gaze robbed her off speech.

"I love you too Jaan.." with those unexpected words he dropped a soft peck on her lips thus giving her jolts of electricity. Her stunned eyes found a smug grin on his countenance as she heard his husky voice, pouring in her ear. "But right now I have something else to do with you."