Chapter 14 - Birthday

Vote and comment :)

- Zayas pov

Seeing someone's face light up with joy on their birthday has always been my favorite thing. It's the joy written on their face that warms my heart. It's even better when it's someone I love too.

Mateos birthday is today and I'm nervous I'm not gonna make him happy with the gifts I got. I mean who gets someone a bracelet and matching shoes on their birthday right? I mean I got him other things like a gold necklace and basketball shoes from Lamelo Ball. They were hella expensive and made a dent in my bank account but he's been talking about them so much I just had to.

My phone dings.

Valdez

You ready yet?

Yeah hold on
Read 7:23

Okay.

I throw my back pack on and walk out the house with a big bag full of presents for Mateo.

He shoots me a questioning glance but I look away from his eyes and walk to my side of the car.

When I sit down he tilts his head to get a closer look but I put the bag in the back before he can.

"Stop trying to peak Mateo." I snap at him playfully before throwing my arms around him.

"Happy birthday Valdez!!" I smile into his sweater covered shoulder.

"Thank you Zaya." He mumbles through my hair in his face.

I lean back but he pulls me closer and hugs me tighter. Butterflies swarm my stomach.

"You didn't have to get me anything Z." He says happily despite his words.

"Yeah okay Mateo." I sit back in my seat and buckle, not believing him.

"What are we gonna do today on your eighteenth birthday?" I ask him while he starts the car.

"Nothing. Probably watch a movie or something." He shrugs and backs out of the driveway.

"What! No Mateo we have to do something fun. Ooh what about cliff jumping!!" I say excitedly.

"You don't even like heights Zay." He sighs and makes a turn.

"Pfft yes I do." My voice comes out nervous. I hate heights with a passion. I like roller coasters and that's the only exception.

"Bullshit Zay. No cliff jumping. Just a nice hangout is all I want. Everything's good as long as you're there." He mumbles the last part and shrugs.

"Okay fine." I blush a bit at his words. I know that's not what he meant but it's what my brain thought was about us particularity. He really means the whole friend group.

"What about Oliver though?" I glance at him.

His side profile greeting my eyes. His jawline sharp. His hazel eyes changing color every time the early sun hits them. His curls wet from a morning shower.

"I don't want someone I don't know there." He says with no emotion.

"I thought Oliver was nice though." I frown but say nothing else.