Chapter 22 - Past

Gatekeeping songs>
New book coming soon, stay tuned ;)

- Diana's pov

Ten years ago...

My girl runs outside as I prepare dinner for her and Mateo. My husband didn't come home tonight. Yet again. Less to cook for atleast.

"Listen Diana, you need to talk to him." My best friend Malia says from the kitchen table.

My husbands been ignoring me, coming home late, and doesn't talk to me. Only in front of Zaya.

"I can't. If that leads to a divorce... I don't know what I would do. Zaya needs her dad, even if he's an complete ass." I sigh and shut the stove off.

She gets up and walks over to help me plate the food.

"That doesn't mean your feelings don't matter. Zayas eight today and your husband isn't even home yet." Malias right. He hasn't called.

"Yea well I can't have Zaya find out." Nervousness fills my heart at the thought of Zaya getting hurt yet again by her dad.

The back door slams shut and I freeze. One of them heard. Or maybe both. I turn to see Mateos curls as he walks over to a sad looking Zaya.

"Shit." Malia trails after her son.

I quickly set the table and pray that Malia will have Mateo keep quiet. He's only eight so I can only hope.

The back opens and Zaya comes in with teary eyes.

"Oh honey what's wrong?" I hurry over to her and check her body of injuries.

"Where's dad?" Her chin trembles.

"I-"

"I'm here pumpkin." Zayas father says from behind me.

She rushes into his arms.

"I thought you weren't gonna come!" She grumbles into his button up.

"I couldn't miss your eighth birthday sweetheart." He says back and grins down at her.

My heart aches and I turn around to make a plate for him too. Malias talking to Mateo still.

My little girl loves her daddy more than me. I take a deep breath and put the plate of Alfredo down on the table.

I don't need this right now. Zayas birthday was supposed to be us girls and Mateo. That's it. We even agreed on it.

I glare him down and he smiles the slightest at me.

I yell for Malia and Mateo then sit down next to my birthday girl.

"Here you go Z. Cake for dessert." I wink and push her plate towards her.

She smiles back and starts to eat.

"Where's Mateo?" She asks with a mouth full of food.

I grimace and shake my head at her antics.

"Out back." I ruffle her curls and shoot daggers at her dad before walking out.

"Malia come on! We have dinner ready and Zaya already ate." I yell for her.

"We're here! Sorry Mateo seen a cat and ran after it." She grins at her son and rolls her eyes.

"It's fine let's go eat." I shrug and head inside.

Dinner consists of happy birthdays and death glares towards my husband. Malia and her son glare at him while I ignore his presence entirely.

"Daddy?" Zaya asks her father.