Chapter 18 - Mom

- Mateos pov

I sit here and all I can do is stare at her side profile. I'm sitting in a library with tons of books filled with information and stories and all I can do is look at her.

I think I've convinced myself I like her to the point that im nervous around her. My heart can't help but skip a beat as she turns to face me in her chair.

She glances up from her fantasy book and raises an eyebrow at me.

"You've got something in your hair." I mumble and point to her head where nothing lies but her curls.

I've been caught in the act.

She brushed her fingers through her beautiful hair.

"Did I get it?" She whispers.

I nod and turn back to my book. I pretend to read the classical literature I picked at random and glance over the page. Zaya doesn't suspect I like her and I want to keep it that way.

I can't tell her and then make it awkward as she rejects me. I know she would like anyone other than me.

I glance up at the sign of movement in the corner of my eye and see Navi walk into  the library. Zay texted her telling her to meet us here. I guess I'm fine with company.

I smile at her and nudge Zaya who's engrossed in her book. Navi sits across from us and smiles back at me.

"Hey Navi." Zaya says sets her book down on the coffee table Infront of us.

"What are we doing in the library?" Navi asks us. We decided to skip our before lunch period and read. Zayas choice, not mine. I just follow her wherever.

"Reading." I shrug and show her my book.

She nods and motions for Zay to follow her. I bet she's getting a book. I stare at them as they walk away.

Nemina didn't come to school today because of the chance of seeing Vicente. It's the following week after the Friday football scandal and the whole school knows that me and Zay punched Vicente. I'm in ISS for only today then I'm suspended at home for the rest of the week.

(In school suspension)

The principal made sure that I knew I was in serious trouble or something. I'm suspended for two varsity practices on the basketball team. I heard a rumor that Vicente is joining in retaliation of last Friday. It's only a rumor so I need to chill.

Not my problem. Before he quit, him and I were known as a duo. We would always work together to score a point. He would pass it and I would dunk and score. It was a back and forth thing.

Zaya comes back and I glance up at her. Today she was wearing long jorts and a cropped grey sweater. She was also wearing this beaded bracelet that I got her three years ago for Christmas.

"Navi find something?" I ask with a head tilt.

She nods and sits down next to me again in her chair. She crosses her legs and opens her book again. I look at her side profile like a creep and memorize how her nose slants down and her cat like eyes. Her lips plump and her eyebrows plucked. I tend to like her side profile.

I quickly look away before she notices me admiring her face. I wince at my stupidity and go back to my book. Like Zaya would ever want to be with me. I think she's friend zoned me too many times to count. Like when she refused my clothes at the beach and the football game I was a bit hurt at her reaction. What if she thinks I smell? No she would have said something.

I focus on my book instead of my messy thoughts.

I ended up not focusing on my book but instead on the cloudy skies. Mid September and it's cloudy.