Chapter 26 - First Game

Vote and comment!!

- Mateos pov

The anticipation for the first game is like none other. All of the boys on varsity are ready and pumped up for tonight's game.

Everyone's waiting in the locker room for Jvs game to end. The theme tonight is black out as every first home game of the season.

The two freshman who ride bench mostly are talking to each other as if they're going to play tonight. Like coach would let them, tonight's all about the seniors.

Coach told everyone that this season would be focused on the seniors. Scouts are looking more than ever and he wants some of us to be an option.

"You ready?" Oliver claps my back as he passes me.

"You know it." I grin at him while I tie my LaMelos that Zaya bought me.

"Good, I heard the other teams competitive as hell." He grabs his jersey and slips it on.

"Yeah they play dirty too." I roll my eyes and switch to the other foot.

I grab my water from my locker along with a towel.

"Hey at least we have more of a chance to get scouted." Oliver shrugs and pulls up his pants meant for the pre game warm up.

The whole varsity team has matching pants that correlate with the school colors that we wear when we come out. We normally exit from the hall and enter the game and start warming up. It's what we do every home game.

"Yeah you right." I grin at him and pull up my black and red pants.

"You all ready to kick some ass on our first home game of the season?" The captain, Neil yells from atop a bench.

Everyone cheers in excitement as the jvs start filing in to the locker room. They won 18:2 so we have to top that.

The air around me fills with anticipation to play a good first game. This always tells what the season is going to be. If we lose right away it means a shitty season but if we win, we're always pumped up.

"Alright let's go boys!" The coach yells and we all file out in a line and go two separate ways to start our drill.

Cheers surround us all as some of us dribble and others just jog behind. My eyes survey the crowd, looking for my girl.

I find Nemina and Navi in the back of the bleachers. My focus solos in on Zaya while i dribble and pass to another guy.

She's wearing my jersey and has her hair up in the style she wore to the Barbie movie. She's smiling so widely at me that I think she'll end up looking like the joker.

The number 13 has never looked so good on someone.

I blow her a kiss and watch as she catches it when the hype music comes on. My attention focuses back on my sport as we start the drill.

The other team comes out, more lamely might I add.

They start stretching right away as my team takes turn shooting with many different balls. We have a formation so there's two lines and whoever's in the front three shoot on either side then pass the ball for the rebound.

I pass the ball after I make a three to the freshman Leo. I dab up oliver on my way back and tune my attention back to Zaya.

She's talking with the twins and laughing. My heart warms at her pretty smile. Everything about her is swoon worthy.

Her curly hair bouncing as her head is thrown back in a laugh, her eyes are lighting up in the dim room, and her lips tilting into a smile.