Twenty-Five

Elliot smoothed Olivia's sweat soaked bangs away from her forehead as he looked down at her exhausted face. 

"This is nothing like my other two labors," Olivia whispered, as she locked eyes with Elliot. Her lip was bleeding from where she had been biting it, and her cheeks were streaked with tears.

"I know, baby. But you are so close. Dr. McKenzie is getting his team around and we will meet our baby soon," Elliot cooed. Olivia nodded slowly before closing her eyes tightly and groaning deeply. Elliot felt as Olivia's hand squeezed his tightly and her groans turned into whimpers. 

The door opened and Dr. McKenzie walked in with a few nurses. They spread out supplies on a cart and pushed it to the end of the bed, and one nurse worked on preparing the station where the newborn would be examined and cleaned up. 

"Olivia, how are we doing?" Dr. McKenzie asked, as he moved to the empty side of Olivia's bed and looked down at her.

"I feel horrible," Olivia replied with a deep frown.

"You'll start feeling better once the baby is born. I'm going to do a quick exam, and hopefully you can push soon. Okay?"

"Okay," Olivia whispered.

Dr. McKenzie was quiet as he examined Olivia. Once he was done, he moved to his nurses and one hurried from the room while the other unhooked things from Olivia.

"W-what's happening?" Elliot asked, his eyes wide with fear.

"We need to perform an emergency c-section. Olivia is bleeding again, and it appears that the placenta detached. We are moving her now, so go out into the hall and get a nurse to take you down the OR. We can't wait for you to arrive, so change fast and get there for Olivia."

///

Olivia stared up at the white ceiling of the OR, tears slipping down her pale cheeks. This was not how she anticipated her baby being born, especially after over twenty-four hours of labor and weeks of bedrest. She could hear Dr. McKenzie talking to his nurses, but her attention quickly moved to where Elliot was walking in. He was in blue scrubs, a hairnet, and a mask.

"How are you doing?" Elliot asked as he sat on a stool by Olivia's head. She swallowed hard as more tears slipped down her cheeks.

"If I bleed out, don't let Keith get the kids. I want my mother to raise them, and I want you to go back to Christine..." Olivia trailed off.

"I'm not going back to Christine, and Keith isn't getting the kids because you will not bleed out. Right, Dr. McKenzie?" Elliot asked. The middle-aged doctor glanced over the sheet at his patient and her partner.

"There is minimal blood loss, and I'm just about to deliver the baby. So just listen for the sound of your baby, Olivia."

Olivia closed her eyes tightly as the tugging became more noticeable. She didn't want to die and leave her children without a mother, especially since Keith had already abandoned them. All the shit Elliot went through to get full custody of Avery and move to New York City would have been a waste, because he wouldn't have her anymore. 

"Liv, do you hear that?" Elliot spoke, his voice shaking as tears slipped down his.

"W-what?" Olivia asked.

"You have a little girl, Olivia! She's beautiful!" Dr. McKenzie exclaimed. Olivia looked up at Elliot and gave him a shaky smile.

"We have a daughter, Liv..."

///

It took Olivia a while to be moved from recovery and back to her room, so Elliot was the first one to hold the baby. He looked at the beautiful little girl that laid in his arms and felt the same way he had felt when Avery was born. The first time he held Avery, he fell madly in love with her and he was experiencing the same thing with the newborn in his arms.

"Hello?" Elliot croaked out when he answered his ringing phone. 

"Elliot! Oh my god, is everything okay?!" Serena panicked the moment she heard Elliot's voice.

"Serena, Olivia and the baby are okay. It's a girl," Elliot said with a smile.

"I thought you had been crying-"

"Oh, I have been. Uh, Olivia had to go in for an emergency c-section, but everything ended up good. She's in recovery and I'm holding the baby... Serena, this baby is absolutely perfect," Elliot replied.

"Why was it an emergency? Elliot, should I come up there?" Serena questioned rapidly.

"Hey, it's okay. I promise everything is fine here, and Olivia is doing well. I just came back from sitting with her, and she's resting now. Your granddaughter is stunning, and I have everything handled. Tomorrow morning you can come up, but the kids aren't allowed right now. Just try to get some sleep, and I'll have Olivia call you once she has had time to bond with our baby."

Elliot was transferred between all the kids and made sure they all knew that Olivia was fine and that they had a new baby sister. After a few hours, Olivia's bed was pushed back into the room. Elliot stood up and smiled when he saw his girlfriend for the first time in a while.

"How are you doing?" He asked, as the orderlies put the brakes on her bed and moved from the room.

"I'm sore, but not nearly as uncomfortable as earlier... So, where is she?"

Elliot walked over and leaned down to kiss Olivia before caressing her cheek.

"She's in the nursery getting checked out. We make very pretty babies, Liv," Elliot grinned. Olivia gave him a tired smile before pulling him down for another kiss.

"Does our very pretty baby have a name?" Olivia yawned once she finally let Elliot stop kissing her. 

"No, she doesn't. I think the woman that went through hell to bring her into the world should at least offer names," Elliot grinned. Olivia sighed softly and rested a hand lightly against her bandaged belly.

"I've done a lot of thinking after spending weeks here, and I really liked Marley," Olivia breathed. Elliot's eyes went wide because he didn't think Olivia would pick that name. He leaned forward and gently took her hand in his before kissing her knuckles.

"Marley what?"

"Marley Josephine... I think Avery and her baby sister should share a middle name," Olivia whispered. Elliot nodded as a shaky smile grew on his lips.

"I'm sorry to bother you, Olivia. But we were wondering if you still wanted to do the DNA test?" A nurse asked from the doorway. Olivia closed her eyes tightly before opening them and looking at Elliot.

"I-i need to know if Marley is yours or Keith's... Is that okay?" Olivia whispered, her words shaking as they left her lips.

"It's okay, Liv... No matter what the results say, Marley Josephine is still going to be my baby girl. That will never change."