Thirty-Seven

Like all the other times that Jackson was sick, he slept all day. He only woke to eat the soup his mother spoon-fed him and tried to drink as much water as his sore throat would allow. While he slept, his siblings and parents hung out downstairs and enjoyed a relaxing family day at home.

"So, is this how life's gonna be now?" Avery asked from where she lay on the floor beside Marley. Olivia looked up from her crossword and eyed her daughter.

"What?"

"Things seem more relaxed now, Mama. Now that Daddy is going to be home all the time and Marley isn't in your belly anymore..." Avery trailed off. 

"Things are going to be good from now on, AJ," Olivia said with a soft smile.

"Are you good with us being home all the time? Mama is going to go back to work after the new year, but I'll be a stay-at-home dad," Elliot spoke. Avery rolled onto her back as she grabbed her baby sister's hand.

"Daddy, I spent so much time away from you when you were deployed. Spending lots of time with you now makes me happy," Avery smiled.

"What about spending time with me?" Landon yawned from where he sat with Elliot in the recliner.

"You and Jack are annoying, but I love having brothers," Avery giggled. She sat up and pulled Marley into her arms before snuggling her close. She placed a light kiss on her baby sister's forehead before looking at her youngest brother.

"Are there going to be more brothers?" Landon mused, which made his mother's face grow red. She kept her eyes locked on the crossword and waited for Elliot to respond. She was almost wondering if Elliot asked the kids to bring up this topic, and if she found out that he had, she'd be mighty mad at him.

"Kids, there may not be more brothers or sisters," Elliot replied.

"Why not?" Avery frowned deeply.

"Mama was super sick with Marley, and the last thing we want is for her to be worse this time around. It's still up for debate, but until then, let's just drop this. Okay?" Elliot spoke. Olivia looked up from her crossword and smiled softly at Elliot. He winked at her before holding Landon a little closer.

///

After dinner, Olivia did dishes with the help of Avery. Elliot went upstairs and helped Jackson take a bath and get into clean pajamas before getting help from Landon in bathing Marley. After all the kids were in clean pajamas and snuggled in their beds, Elliot walked into the bedroom he shared with Olivia. He found his girlfriend snuggling Marley after feeding her and tracing her finger softly over Marley's chubby cheek.

"Even if Jack is sick, today was amazing. I enjoyed every second we got to spend with our kids," Elliot breathed, keeping his voice low. 

"I always dreamed of a family like this, El. I didn't find it until we got back together," Olivia whispered, her eyes welling with tears as she kept her eyes locked on Marley's face. She watched as her baby's eyes fluttered as she fought a milk-induced sleep.

"Clearly we were meant to be together, Liv," Elliot smiled. He sat on the edge of the bed and sat his crutches down on the floor.

"Tonight... Thank you so much for letting the kids down lightly when it comes to more siblings. I don't want to promise them anything, especially since next time, if there is one, I could very well die," Olivia sniffled. Elliot swallowed hard as he reached out and gently caressed her cheek.

"I'd rather raise these four beautiful children with you, instead of raising five kids without you. Liv, I'm sorry for even asking. It was dumb-"

"It was not a dumb question, El. It's something we need to address, especially since we plan on being sexually active like before. It's just important that I'm here for our babies," Olivia breathed as her tear-filled eyes locked with Elliot's understanding blue eyes.

Elliot leaned close and kissed her lips softly before resting his forehead against hers.

"We all need you, Liv. I love you, baby," Elliot breathed as he placed a soft kiss on the tip of her nose.

"I love you too."

///

The kids thrived with both parents around all the time. Elliot was gaining strength as each day passed by, and by the time Christmas came around, he was walking around with the help of a cane. He was gradually getting used to his prosthetic, especially the annoying swelling that became an issue as he continued to heal.

"Why are we whispering?" Jackson asked as he joined his father and older sister in the garage. Olivia was inside with Landon and Marley as she finished the Christmas dinner preparations.

"Daddy doesn't want Mama to know something," Avery smiled. She knew exactly what was happening because she had snooped for Christmas gifts a few days ago and found something incredibly special in her father's bedside table.

"Why are you so excited? I haven't told you... Avery Josephine Stabler," Elliot whispered fiercely. Avery's cheeks grew red as an enormous smile grew on her lips.

"I wanted to know what I was getting for Christmas, but instead I found a really pretty ring. Daddy, are you going to marry Mama?" Avery asked. Jackson's eyes went wide at his sister's question.

"Marry my mama? Daddy?" Jackson asked.

"That is the plan. Now, I didn't want to ask permission too soon, especially since Landon can't know or else he'll spill the beans. But are you both okay with this? I got her a really pretty ring and I love her so much. She deserves to be happy, and I really think I can make her happy forever... So what do you think?" Elliot whispered.

Jackson and Avery exchanged glances and were just about to agree when the door from the kitchen into the garage opened.

"What are you three doing?" Olivia asked.

"We want to make sure we didn't get you, Landon, and Marley all the same things. I think we are all good, though," Elliot grinned as he turned to face his girlfriend. 

"Yeah, I really don't buy that. However, I need help in the kitchen and the kids need to get changed before your parents get here. So, get to it."