Thirty-Two

Olivia slowly climbed out of bed and lifted her newborn slowly from her bassinet. She leaned down and kissed her small forehead before slipping from her bedroom without waking her mother. Olivia made her rounds and checked in on her boys before looking in on Avery. When she opened the door, the twin bed was empty and Avery's small pair of slippers were no longer next to her bed. Olivia turned quickly and raced downstairs, letting out a sigh of relief when she saw Avery sitting at the kitchen table.

"Baby, what are you doing down here?" Olivia asked as she moved Marley into the crook of her other arm.

"Oh, hi Mama..." Avery trailed off, as she placed a pencil onto the notebook in front of her.

"Avery, it's two in the morning. You have school in the morning and need your sleep. So what is happening?" Olivia questioned. Avery stood up slowly and walked over to the fridge. Olivia watched her in confusion, especially when the little girl grabbed a juice box.

"Can I stay home tomorrow? Daddy needs me at the hospital," Avery spoke, as she took the straw off and stuck it in the box. 

"Honey-"

"Mama, I have a lot of work to do. Daddy needs me to help him learn to walk again, especially since he has to teach Marley to walk in the future. He needs me to hold his hand and make him feel safe," Avery explained, before taking a sip from her juice box. 

Olivia frowned deeply and realized that her little girl had grown up overnight. She had taken on a lot more responsibilities than before, especially since she was determined to assist her father through a recovery that will be the hardest thing he's ever done before.

"Your Daddy would want you to go school, AJ."

"No, he'd want me there with him. He takes care of me, and I'll take care of him. Mama-"

"AJ, you are going to fight me on this... Right?"

"Yes, ma'am," Avery replied, deciding to be honest. Olivia frowned deeply before nodding slowly.

"Would you be willing to do your schoolwork online?"

"Online?"

"Yes, like taking my laptop to the hospital and work on your homework through an online school? Your grandparents can sign you up, and I'll pay for it. But if I allow you to do this, you need to do school work. You can't let it pile up because you are too focused on your daddy. Okay?" Olivia breathed. 

"I promise, Mama. Daddy needs me," Avery breathed. Olivia took her free arm and smoothed Avery's messy hair.

"I'll talk to your grandparents tomorrow and see what we can do. I'll call you out tomorrow since it's very late and you have barely slept, and we will take everything one day at a time. Got it?"

"Got it, Mama. I love you," Avery said with a tired smile.

"I love you too, honey. C'mon, let's go back to bed."

///

Olivia took Avery and Marley to the hospital the next day. The boys decided to stay home and were heartbroken when they found out they couldn't see Elliot. Olivia explained to them she couldn't even see them, and that Bernie and Joseph were going to take both girls upstairs to see Elliot and they'd get their chance soon.

"Hey sweethearts," Bernie said with a tired smile. Olivia frowned deeply at the exhaustion that covered her face. They had only been with Elliot for a few days, but sitting next to your child that is horribly injured was taking a lot out of her and Joseph.

"Hi, Gran," Avery yawned.

"Did you not sleep well last night?" Bernie asked.

"We were up very late discussing things... Can we talk real quick before you take the girls and head in?" Olivia asked. Bernie nodded and then led them to a bench. Avery sat down beside her sister's carrier as Bernie and Olivia walked a few steps away.

"Is everything okay? If you need us to take Avery so it's a little less stressful-"

"Bernie, I cannot imagine her leaving us. I need her at home, especially since we have all blended into a family. The boys love her too much to be away from her," Olivia replied.

"Don't worry, we won't take her away. I promise. Now, what's happening?" Bernie spoke as she reached out and grabbed Olivia's arm.

"Avery and I discussed her doing school online until Elliot can tell her to go back to in-person classes," Olivia breathed.

"Why? Is she getting picked on already?"

"No, she's doing well and enjoying her new school. It's just that she doesn't want to go to school because she's determined to take care of Elliot. She was up at two in the morning making lists of everything that she needed to help Elliot with. So I'd like to sign her up for classes that she can do while here at the hospital."

Bernie didn't know what to say, so she thought for several long moments. Olivia got nervous and was certain that Bernie would tell her no.

"I'm sorry for asking, Bernie. I know it's dumb-"

"If this will make Avery happier, then Joseph and I will sign her up. She's stubborn just like her father, and I'm assuming she wouldn't take no for an answer?" Bernie asked. Olivia let out a sigh of relief and nodded slowly.

"Kinda... She is so determined to help him recover, and I don't want to break her heart and tell her no. There has been so much change in her life, and I want to give in a few times," Olivia replied. Bernie reached out and pulled Olivia into a tight hug.

"You are a great mother to that little girl. Way better than Christine could ever be."