Chapter 13: First dance, first date, first kiss?

Brooklynn just finishes putting her hair up in a ponytail and curling it for the dance. The sudden knock on the door causes her to look up from fasining her shoes. On the outside is Josef dressed in a white vest with a black undershirt and dress pants. His wavy blonde hair tied up in a ponytail. She stares speechless for a minute before him clearing his throat makes her realize she didn't greet him yet. "G-Good evening! You look really nice."

"As do you. That dress looks really good on you."

"Thanks again for getting me this. I was suprised it fits just right."

"What can I say? Are you ready to go?" She nods and follows behind him down the hall.

Can't believe I'm actually going on a date with Josef...

They don't get far before he comes to a sudden stop, causing her to run into the back of him. "Sorry, is something wrong?"

"Yes, there is actually. Things can't be like this if we're to be on a 'date." Turning to her with quite a serious expression on his face.

"Huh?"

"You do look ravishing in that dress," he says, while running his fingers through her long hair. She freezes at his forwardness taking a step back.

"Josef, what's going on with you?"

"Like I said I will not put up this act anymore. I refuse to."

"Act? What are you talking about?"

"The way I always be at school. You don't actually believe that's the real me? I do what I need to keep things interesting there, and it does help all the girls throw themseleves at him. But for some reason it's different with you, Hira. It's something about you that intrigues me. That's why you're the one I asked to accompany me tonight. I don't ever go on actual 'dates' with anyone, but you're a special exception. You feel the same way towards me do you not? You wouldn't have agreed otherwise," he questions closing the distance.

"Ah, I mean of course I do..."

"That's excatly why for now on no more gimmicks. I'll be myself, the real Josef Huxley. Let's see if you still harbor the same feelings after I show you my true colors," he challenges. Brooklynn just realizes she's holding her breath as he pulls away. "The same thing goes for you too."

"W-What about me?"

"I want to see the real Hira also. Anyone can tell this isn't you," he points out simply, having her thoughts swirl into endless possibilities.

Could he know my secret?! No, it's no way that's possible. How would've he found out...

"That dress looked a little small and it was a lucky guess it fitted so well."

"What did you say?! It fits better than fine for your information!" To her suprise at the small outburst he only chuckles to himself. "What's so funny?"

"You just take everything so seriously. I'll have a lot of fun toying with you. Though that's the you I mean right there. Like the way I see act when you're around Sonny in class. That's the Hira I want here tonight. Not some googly eyed suck up. That's no difference to every other girl at this school."

Brooklynn finally understands what he means now. She has been self consciously putting up a front to try and win him over, but in the end it wouldn't lead to anything. Because that girl isn't the real her. She got so into her role as Hira Collins she forgets to just be Brooklynn. That's the true self he's asking for tonight.

"I think I get it now. Regardless if none of the you I saw was real I won't just back out on this date. I want to see what the real Josef is like."