Chapter 24: Radiant glow

With no other words left to be said between the two their battle at last commences. Duran's gigantic sword clashing with her five smaller ones. He manages to block every attack but all of his seems to be driving her back futher. "Light beams!"

Four beams of light coming from her hands and he puts up a dark wall that absorbs them. Duran following up with a dark magic attack of his own. The force of this blast sends Brooklynn flying backwards, though quickly gets back on her feet. She attempts throwing some balls of light but he dodges every last one with ease.

Impossible! It's like he's predicting my every move and we never even fought before now...

Charging at her their swords clash once again. The man stares down at her struggling with an amused glint in his eyes.

"I'm sure you're aware by now on the truth of Amethyst death. Practically every member of my family helped participate in her death. Including the boy that's been fighting by your side this entire time. That little guardian of yours is a murderer."

"Shut up!" Both knocking each other back she throws a fire ball. Duran quickly ducking as it goes over his head, and executes an electric shockwave she doesn't have chance to avoid.

The burnette body feels numb as she slowly backs away readying her swords in the air. Moving each sword he simply dances around her blades. Duran knocking one by one down to the floor very hard. "Do you have any clue on why we never abducted you? It was the plan originally with Ryder, but when your turn came around I had a better idea. Since the SP was sending you to destroy this chest regardless it was easier to wait things out. However we didn't just sit twiddling our thumbs, but instead used this as an opportunity to study you."

Brooklynn's final weapon getting hit with such force a jolt of pain runs through her. Hands flying to her head as she drops down on her knees. The burnette hates to cast this spell so soon, but her stamina won't last any longer if she doesn't. "Healing cir-"

Duran acts fast swinging upwards before she can put up a reflexive shield. Sending her tumbling back once more and losing the ounce of strength she has left. He slowly approaches the girl sprawled out on the floor. "I felt the dark energy resting inside of this place. I could've told the SP agents so they would send you straight here. Though instead we decided to observe your fighting potential. Gores attacked at you plenty of times giving me a report upon his return. Even sending his children to battle so I could watch through his special ability. When they chose an incorrect ruin gave me time to learn all your light spells. Including how you handle your telekinesis."

That can't possibly be true...and yet their actions until now makes perfect sense.

Brooklynn tries another light attack but he dodges it all the same. Grabbing the young teen by her neck and slamming her against the wall. Feet raising off the ground as she kicks to break free of his chokehold. "Go ahead and attempt to disappear on me. Oh, that stunt isn't very effective right now. Don't you see? I can read your every move like a book, and my grandson won't come rescue you either. He's quite busy in a upbeat family reunion at the moment."

We've been playing right into his hand the whole time? I didn't get chance to heal and my flash ability isn't working...

"I was able to outsmart you hardly using any effort at all. Aine made a grave mistake believing a little girl could ever defeat me. Now I'll use this forbidden spell to rid the world of you both. Goodbye last Felixa." Duran tightening his grip making it hard to breathe. The old man starts murmuring words similar to Primose that day.

This is how it really ends? I never stood a chance against him from the beginning. I'm so pathetic when he isn't around to save me all the time. With everything that he's sacrificed and I lose here. I'm sorry, Sonny. Same to Aine, my grandparents, new friends and old, awaiting my victory. I'm so sorry...