Chapter 21: Slipping further away

In the morning as usual Brooklynn just finishes getting dressed. This time she is wearing light green cotton shorts and a matching short vip up vest. It has a purple and pink tie dye design splashed over it putting a white tank underneath. She puts her hair up in two ponytails today with a matching pink headband. Noticing her friendship bracelet on the dresser that she hasn't wore since Cheryl's death. She debates then fastening the colorful charm bracelet on her wrist before heading out.

Just as she's stepping out her partner is also. Sonny having on a red shirt with sleeves past the elbows. The print reading 'The great outdoors' with a brown bear and mountain picture on it. Along with blue shorts and matching red shoes. Since they'll only be in school one period, even shorter than usual being a two hour delay, those on the field trip aren't required to wear uniforms.

Normally she'd just say some kinda greeting, but today she can hardly give a simple morning. Flashbacks of what conspired last night coming back to her again. "G-Good morning...Your shirt really speaks camping."

"That's why I choose it for today, considering our final mission doesn't be right now. They already called so we should head out front." Even with them talking like this it's far from pleasant. Sonny definitely almost kissed her last night, and she wasn't even doing anything to stop it. If Josef hadn't interrupted like he did who's telling what might've happened.

Josef saw us yesterday. What am I possibly going to say when I see him?

...

The limo rides on while the four sit in silence. Jerry glances from driving at the center mirror with a questionable gaze. "Hey, why you two so quiet? I know we don't usually go on a mission this ealier, but aren't you use to getting up at this time for school?"

"Oh, I'm not tired! I feel just fine," Brooklynn answers.

"As do I," Sonny adds. With that conversation dies again the detectives exchanging looks.

Arriving at the fifth ruins this one is quite big like the previous. Laid out in a dark blue color not looking so rundown. She wonders what kind of monsters are in here and is that chest. "This is the next ruin..."

"Stay safe as always both of you. The magic is definitely locked away in one of these last two," Ron says.

After casting the spell and receiving their weapons they head inside. The ruin is covered in blue crystal with many unique symbols covering the wall. One of the first things to greet them is a large staircase leading up towards a narrow path. The other side is a cliff that's so deep she can't see nothing but pure darkness. It's honestly more intimidating than the drop distance from the last ruin. "We need to be extra cautious in here. Watch your step," Sonny says, going off ahead.

Reaching the end of the staircase it's a small gap from in between. Possibly can be jumped though rather not take any risks. "Should we transform to fly across?"

"No, not so soon. I think I have a better idea." Sonny using his elastic on a crystal point hanging from the ceiling starts to swing. Luckily it holds his weight as the boy gets enough momentum to safely land across. Now waving her over to do the same. "Come on, just use the rope like I did."

"Okay..." Thinking on it Sonny could have used his beyond gravity to definitely jumped across. Only choosing this route to make sure it would work for her. Copying his action she joins him on the other side. The two continuing further down the pathway.

There's many rooms that are closed off, and approaching the end a door is tightly sealed shut. A flower pattern carved in the middle is the only clue on how to open it. "There isn't even any handle. It could be another lever though I doubt it's that simple."