Chapter 16: The hidden secret is revealed

Entering inside the ruin branches off into two different paths that seem to circle around. A large monster statue placed directly in the middle, and Brooklynn hopes nothing that size is here. Small rivers of fire runs through the place giving off little light. The girl could've sworn she just felt a trickle of sweat run down her forehead and they just walked in. "Man it's so hot! This definitely looks like a step up from our last mission."

"Let's get moving to finish this ruin quickly. I don't wanna suffocate inside here. Watch out for the fire though."

"But which path should we take? It looks like they both lead around towards the back." If each one leads to the most inner part anyway perhaps it doesn't matter. However Sonny goes to the right opening listening for a moment. Then doing the exact same thing with the left path.

"What are you doing?"

"Listening for noise. I hear less down this right path so we should run into less monsters."

"I see, seems it's the right way to go then."

Following his lead they take off down the right pathway. The monsters in here are a bit tougher than those ants. Still they manage to get pass them smoothly enough. If anything being careful not to make the wrong step amongst flames and traps is more troublesome. Running further down the two separate paths now join into one. They didn't even have to fight many monsters at all.

"You're hypothesis was correct. Looks like this was the faster route."

"The center can't be far now. Let's move!" Though Sonny comes to a sudden hault her nearly running into him. Looking ahead a single figure emerging from the opposite direction greets them.

"So this is the ruin the SP chose for you second."

"Gores, we were waiting for you to show up," Sonny already on the defense.

"I won't let you kids defeat me this time. The Felixa will be coming with me."

"How do you always just pop up where we are?" Even if he knows around what time they usually go on missions, how does he predict which one they're going to? Gores simply snorts at her question as if the answer isn't worth explaining.

"It's my special ability, obviously. I can track whoever I please that comes to mind. So I can always keep tabs on the two of you." As usual monsters surround them now resembling dark hounds, and Sonny lets out a sigh.

"You can never fight us without Duran backing you up. Why doesn't he come here himself than hiding behind monsters, huh?"

"Duran doesn't have time to deal with you insolent kids. He has much bigger things in store. Too bad you won't be alive to see it!" The man charging at her yet again as Sonny focuses on the hounds. Her choosing ice and him fire as their attacks collide, then the elements cancelling each other out.

Gores forms small dark balls that float towards her. One of them hitting the girl's leg and it explodes upon impact. "Bombs!" she exclaims, and quickly jumps back to create distance. Bringing out the swords she moves fast cutting each in half before anymore can touch her. All but one last dark ball lingering close behind her. Brooklynn doesn't get a chance to act fast enough it blowing and blasting her body foward.

Even more hounds gather around Sonny one lunching right on top of him. He uses his lance to push the mutt away then piercing it. The dog slowy fading away to nothing. No matter what magic combinations he tries they're taking so long to die. "This isn't working!"

"We should switch, I have an idea!"

"Alright, I'll take care of Gores then." The teens changing targets as the ginger goes for him.