Chap-13

I turned Liz and I away from the crowd in the parlor and walked with her to the hallway. “Why does he want to see me?” I asked her. She shrugged. “He just really wanted to talk to you” Liz said.

“I don’t want to see him or talk to him” I said.

“Least go see what he wants.” Liz said lightly shoving me in the direction he was in. I was starting to feel like I was being set up. I walked into the dining room and there was Lucas with a big smirk on his face. I rolled my eyes at him. “What’s up?” I said with a strong uninterested voice. He chuckled. He moved closer to me and crossed his arms over his chest.

“I just want to know who told you” he said.

“Why does it matter to you?” I asked.

“Because I just do” His face was stern and he almost looked angry.

“What, were you planning on telling me?” I asked. He grabbed my wrists and I pulled away from him.

“Don’t touch me” I said.

“Haze, honey” Lucas said. I laughed in his face.

“I am not your honey.” I said. He closed his eyes and sighed defeated.

"I guess I’m not surprised you’re taking everything so well." Lucas said. I almost rolled my eyes. "I guess I just wish you weren’t. I was looking forward to your reaction"

"I still hate you for messing with my brain" I said He smiled down at me.

"Oh my Hazel," Lucas said. "I was only curious" he said. He leaned down and pressed his lips down on my forehead. I grinned my teeth and then I pushed him away.

"Stop" I wined. I looked away from Lucas's face only meeting Fallon's. He was standing by the door way of the kitchen. Fallon looked like he was holding in a smile.

“What’s so funny?” I asked him. Fallon didn’t say anything but gave me a small smile and then disappeared back into the kitchen.

“He probably thinks he can get you” Lucas said.

"This conversation is over" I said. I then picked up my dress lightly and walked out of the dining room and back in the parlor where everyone was chatting and drinking wine. It seemed like everything was going well until I saw everyone stop chatting. They looked over and saw me and fell silent. Why did they do that every time I entered a room? I gave a small wave and walked back out of the room. I'm an idiot. I decided not to try and fit in with everyone else so I walked out to the garden. There wasn't much of a garden but a place filled with trees and flowers. I called it the garden. I saw it the day Ian jumped off my balcony and tried to hide me from the Royal family. I walked through the trees towards the back of the house. I heard twigs breaking under my feet and the birds chirp as the cold fog covered the air around me. I walked farther in till I saw small blossoms on the trees in the back and small fireflies. The place looked to magical. There was a small stone bench. The back of the bench was facing the wall of the house. I slowly walked over to it and carefully sat down. It was so cold, the bench was almost frozen. You could tell no one has been back here for almost a hundred years. I stood up before my butt froze to an ice cube. When I walked around the house to another part of the garden Fallon was leaning against a tree. He seemed like he didn’t notice me and was too absorbed in the black book in his hand. He had on leg propped up on a tree and was reading. I wasn’t sure how to approach him should I just say hi? No I didn’t want to startle him. I decided to walk away silently.

As I silently walked back on a twig the snap was so load I heard all the birds flee from the trees around us. He looked over and saw me. His expression didn't change though. His face was expressionless. I stepped back again breaking another branch. I lifted my arm up and covered my face.

“Maybe you shouldn’t walk at all together if you’re really that embarrassed on breaking twigs.” Fallon said. I bit my lip feeling awkward and shy.

“I’m surprised I’m not breaking more than that. I’m such a clumsy person” I said. He smiled at me and nodded showing me he understood.

“I’m guessing you know” Fallon said. “By the way you act around me it seems like you’re too shy to do anything because you’re afraid for my reaction” I kind of just stared at him because his assumptions were right. I stretched my head a little sparing the rest of my innocent “Yeah pretty much” I said.

“Then you should know what people would think if they saw us together” Fallon said. He was right; if people did see us here they would think Fallon was a danger to me. But deep down inside I knew he wasn’t bad. He was actually just a guy who fell for the wrong girl.

“It was nice meeting you” I said. He looked down at the ground and sighed. “I’ll see you around” He said then he was gone and all that was left was the few leaves that blew in the wind behind him. When I got back into the house I walked back into the parlor but everyone was gone from the room. When I started walking up the stairs to go back to my room I heard a silent knock on the door. I paused three steps up the steps and waited to see if someone was really knocking and then I heard it again.

I opened the door and there in front of me was a man. He was as old as Buddy only a little younger. He had grey hair and his face was smooth. He seemed so focused and concentrated on something. His stare at me almost made me want to run away.

"You must be Katerina's new child. It's nice to finally see you" He said. He was nice, calm, and he said every word slowly.

"Father" I heard Katerina say behind me.