Prologue

"Tyler look out!"

I screamed out as we approached the bridge, but it was already too late. The road was too wet, and the car was going too fast. He doesn't see the dark shadow of whatever animal had chosen that exact moment and location to scurry across the road in front of us. There's no way he will be able to stop in time.

Tyler turns his head away from me and back towards the road in horror. He slams down on the brakes and swerves hoping in vain to avoid a collision. I grab the dash with both hands and try to breathe, but I can't seem to find the air. Instead, I am hit with the realization that this is where we are both going to die.

I can see the fear in my best friend's eyes, and I know that he has come to the same grim realization that I have. That's when I feel us make contact, as the front bumper hits the side of the bridge, slamming into the guard rail.

But we are still moving too fast.

The car breaks through the metal siding that is meant to protect us from leaving the road and starts to head over the side of the bridge, taking the railing with it.

Now we are heading straight for the dark river below.

This is when I first see him. A boy with piercing green eyes standing on the edge of the riverbank below. He is so out of place in this horrific scene and yet seems to belong just the same.

And he is looking straight at me.