The Reunion of Esmeralda and Gudule

Esmeralda, meanwhile, was living in anxiety for what was to come next. She knew that time wouldn't be on her side every day. Sooner or later, Frollo would have his way with her. Perhaps she could ask him to take some edge off the harsh prison conditions. If she was to stay here for a long time, she might as well have some real food.

When the cell doors opened that evening, she was expecting Frollo to come in and finish the previous night's business. What she did not expect was a soldier holding an old woman with unkempt hair instead. Looking up, her eyes glimmered.

'Mother!' she cried out like a kid, and ran to hug Gudule. The mother tried to reciprocate, but was prevented from doing so by the soldier. Nevertheless, she pushed him away, squeezing her daughter as much as she could, as if to protect her from all the horrible evils of the world.

'My child', she said, crying. 'Do you know what trepidation I was in? I would have cursed God if I had to lose you again.' Esmeralda said nothing, but clung on to Gudule. Over her shoulder, she saw a familiar figure watching from the distance like a dark shadow: Claude Frollo.

'Thank you', she mumbled.

Gudule turned around, 'Yes, thank you. I don't know what intentions you have. I have nothing in the world but my daughter. I wish I could be undaunted and boldly demand justice from you like her. But I do have her, and I know of your power. So, a part of me is afraid and thinks that I should beg you for mercy instead. I do not know what part I should listen to, but till then, thank you for letting me see her again.'

Frollo took a step towards them. He knew what he was doing, but he didn't expect it to be this. The fact that Esmeralda was at least half-Parisian made him see things differently. Or maybe it was Jehan's death. He himself had lost his parents at nineteen, and at least he had other people to make up for it. Esmeralda didn't.
'I have no issue from you seeing her. You may do it as you please. But we had an arrangement. She has conceded herself to me, and that can't be altered.'

Gudule held on to Esmeralda tightly. 'You are a stain on the church's name, aren't you? I do not care of any 'arrangement' you made. I just...', she fought back tears, 'I just don't want her to endure any more, by you or anybody else. I have lived and committed my share of sins, and I have paid for them. But she is young and pure. Just let her be.'

Frollo sighed, perhaps to buy him some time before answering. 'The more both of you comply, the easier it shall be for you. I do not want to harm her, rather, I wish to save her soul. I am the Minister of Justice. I can give both of you a life better than you would have dreamt of'.

Esmeralda hit, 'But why would you do that? You want to destroy my people.'

'They are not your people, Agnes,' Gudule broke in.

Esmeralda looked at her mother stubbornly. Now that she was not hanged, this had to be dealt with too.

'But they are, mother.'

Frollo continued, ignoring them, 'Wait for a few more days. All that needs to be done is raiding the 'Court of Miracles'. Our torturer Charmolue is questioning gypsies about their hideout. You can make it quicker by helping us. The public thinks that you are a demonic witch. Giving us their location can redeem your reputation, after which you can get out.'

'And how many people do you need to kill before that? You know that many of them are families, right?'

'They can just leave. They are free to practice their impiousness and vulgarity elsewhere, just spare France. For protecting France is my duty.'

'I think France needs more protection from people like you.'

'They work for the devil.'

'You should learn to not fall for your own lies.'

He glared at her. He was trying to be gentle, and here she was provoking him.

It seemed like Gudule understood the rising tension, as she said, 'She is a little girl and is in shock. Give her some time.'

She turned to her mother, baffled. How could she side with this murderer over her?

'Sure.' Frollo replied. 'But remember, Esmeralda,' he spoke her name carefully; it was probably the first time he had addressed her face-to-face by anything other than "gypsy". 'Your people are doomed. There is no way you can save them. But you can save yourself. So better focus on that.' She lowered her head. He decided to make his way out and leave the duo alone to argue.

Suddenly she asked, 'Can I ask for something?'

He turned back.

'I am not really prisoner here, am I? So, will it be fine if you send some food other than black bread? You wouldn't want your mistress to starve, right?'

He looked at her amusedly. 'Why, of course. When I give food to the hunchback, I shall send you a basket as well.'

Assuming that this was all, he turned again towards the door.

But he heard her voice again. 'You still see him? How is he?'

If only she could ask him anything else.

'He is contemplating for damaging the cathedral like he should.'

'Oh, he loves the cathedral. He did it for me, it's my fault. Please don't punish him.'

Frollo's eyes narrowed. 'He is fine. It's his luck that I haven't sent him to court. Besides, he is a monster and knows it. There is no need to feel sorry for him. I permit you to carry on your touching mother-daughter reunion.'

He slammed the door before she could say more.