The Oath

At Notre-Dame, the archdeacon was kindling the candlestands. Their growing light gradually alighted the empty church. Quasimodo was waiting for the priest to finish his duties. The time when Frollo used to visit him had long passed, and he doubted if he intended on coming. Just when he was about to speak, the cathedral door opened. He hid himself behind the pillar. A young, well-dressed woman hastily walked towards the altar. Pacing behind her was another, older lady in a heavy headdress.

The archdeacon turned to look at the worshipper. 'Fleur-Dy-Lys! You at this hour, and without Phoebus?'

Phoebus- the name rung a bell for Quasimodo. Wasn't this the name of the soldier that Esmeralda was in love with?

The lady seemed upset over something. 'Father, you are a servant of God, but you leave his believers stranded.'

'That cannot be true, my child. Why has this thought come to you?'

The older lady stepped forward. 'My daughter has just gotten married, archdeacon. But the evil spirits have not even spared her a day of marital bliss.' The priest kept the lighter down.

'It is the profane witch from Bohemia!' Fleur disclosed. 'That gypsy, that heathen tramp from those filthy streets of Paris- '

'Mind your language, Fleur-Dy-Lys.'

The bride exhaled from exasperation. 'She has bespelled Phoebus. He has changed incredibly from the day he saw her. Before our marriage, he promised me the world. He was the ideal man to set your heart to; too good to be true. But since she has entered my life, Father, I tell you; she has her devilish plans set on ruining us. Phoebus barely speaks to me. And today,' she looked back for confirmation. Her mother nodded.

'I caught him exchanging letters of affection with one of my closest friends, Diane. You must do something about her.'

Was it Esmeralda this lady was talking about? It must be.

The archdeacon walked away from the altar in thought. Quasimodo moved sideways to keep his presence hidden. 'Why do you believe that she is the cause of this?' said the archdeacon. 'If you don't mind my saying this, your husband was notorious for his pursuits far before she started dancing in the square.'

She walked after him. 'You do not know her, father.' He looked at her patiently, yet questioning. 'Do you?'

'Everybody does. Minister Frollo has become her victim, of all people.'

Madame Gondelaurier stood behind her daughter. 'Dear, do not worry so much. I am sure the judge has that wench under his control. It's a shame that you weren't conscious in the banquet to see him let her have it. My maidservant heard that he punished her quite severely. Their chamber echoed of feminine sobs the entire night.'

'What?' Quasimodo expressed astonishment, and out of an unfortunate habit of talking to bells and gargoyles, did it aloud. The three people looked at the pillar. He came out of his hiding place with a hand on his mouth. The women gaped. 'The demonic hunchback!'

Fleur said to the archdeacon, 'I told you she's a witch. All monsters are on terms with each other!'

Quasimodo turned around to retreat to the tower when the archdeacon stopped him. 'No, you need not go. He is not a demon, Fleur-Dy-Lys. He is the bell-ringer.'

'Well, it's apparent that he is a demon.'

The priest gave her a firm look. 'He works in the church, and is therefore a servant of God as well. This is not the public square. You shall treat him with respect here.'

'How can you say this being a priest?'

'If you belong to the second estate, my child, I belong to the first.'