Departure

The table was laid out for dinner, the flowers peeking out in their varying shades from the vase, Frollo going on about the treaty and the temperament of its participants. But none of it impressed her. Each time the man's countenance altered, her heart hammered with anticipation of the moment he would burst out. When his sweet words would turn to stings. A voice inside her kept saying that her conduct would infuriate him, but most of her had simply stopped caring. How better would it have been to just be with herself, suffering, but at least having no threat of further suffering.

She was not really at the table. She was partly in the Court of Miracles, partly in the cathedral, partly on the scaffold and partly in his bed. The juxtaposing scenes came to strike at the slightest triggers, like chimes announcing the commencement of execution. She would've done anything to escape this condition, but for the life of her she couldn't.

Her reservedness hadn't escaped his notice. If the Esmeralda when Claude had come back was agitated and stressed, the one eating in front of him was exasperatingly dull. She answered his questions in 'yes' and 'no', consistently monotonous. It didn't suit her pretty features. Not even politics was enlivening her.

This abnormal behavior started to get on his nerves. He had agreed to the conditions she had wanted; conditions that, if truth be told, she didn't deserve. It was this mulish behavior of hers that had caused what she was so mournful about. He took a long breath. "It shall pass. When I return from Arras, she will be dying to be with me."

After drying his hands with a piece of linen, he left his chair. She inched away as he approached. With as much compassion as possible, he said, 'You said that you want to spend time with me. I will ensure it when I come home. Although I shall be quite occupied after it. But like I said, I'm never too busy for you.'

He waited for her to show unclarity, then leaned in closer. 'Duke Maximilian and I have made a deal regarding my discovery. I can't say much to you, but know that our royal highness won't be too thrilled.' She watched him, unenthusiastic and silent.

The bells chimed to tell the city that it was ten. 'They must be coming.'

'I think I should sleep then,' she yawned.

'If you want to,' he permitted. 'We may take an hour.' Without saying more, she left for the staircase.

--

He scrupulously estimated the required amount of the grey substance critical to his finding. Working under the light of a lone candle, he indeed came off as a sorcerer.

Charmolue and Maximilian watched him prepare, the duke being particularly intrigued. With a call of his hand they gathered around the table. Maximilian heaped praise as he transformed the copper of the coin to silver, followed by gold. Besides the impressive nature of the discovery itself, he needed to be in the official's good books for the plan to succeed.

'Is this enough for your specialists?' Frollo asked. He affirmed, 'Certainly, Monseigneur. Take your equipment with yourself to Arras; secretly, of course. My specialists will arrive some days after we reach.'

'So,' Frollo announced avidly after wrapping up the stone, 'we shall meet tomorrow morning, gentlemen. Remember to act your parts for Louis.' The young men in front of him, carrying the zeal and excitement of diligent students about to violate rules for the first time, applauded.

--

The proctor and minister stayed in the study to discuss academic matters. While climbing the stairs, Maximilian thanked god for the smooth functioning of the plan so far, and hoped that it would continue as such. He also gave a small prayer for Mary, whose dream he was working to fulfil. Surely this would make her spirit more than approve of their son to rule.