A Cinderella Story?

The news was met with surprise by the Parisians. They had never expected Frollo to just let the Romani leave without punishment. But perhaps it was better for everyone, they thought; the war had ended without any more bloodshed, and now that they were gone, maybe Frollo would start being more mellow? Even King Louis was pleased by the agreement and made sure to increase Frollo and Charmolue's salaries "for their good diplomacy".

Many still came out on the streets to curse the leaving people. Adhering to Frollo's contract, Mathias Spicali begged the city and God for forgiveness before they set off. After so much, he was ready to do anything to get them out alive. Many wanted to stay and rescue Esmeralda, but they knew how bleak their situation was.

A celebration was set-up for the city folk, where they could come and eat and drink all they like. They could paint the town red. Even those who didn't care about the Romani or religion loved a celebration after so much time.

Frollo for his part was happier than he had been in the past twenty years. He made a brief speech on how pleased he was to purify Paris at last, and how he hoped that the citizens would now deter themselves from participating in 'impure' passions and be loyal to the system. The citizens didn't really care, but did it matter? They were getting to enjoy, so they cheered anyway.

Quasimodo meanwhile, was confused on what was happening. Due to Frollo visiting him much less than he used to do, he was oblivious to the current affairs of the city. He just prayed that Esmeralda was alright.

--

After the celebration Frollo came up to the belltower. Quasimodo was surprised to see him in a good mood.

'I'm delighted today, boy. I have finally achieved success in getting the city rid of gypsies!' he boasted.

'Oh! Congratulations.' Quasimodo replied. 'How did it happen?'

'Ah, yes. You know nothing about it, do you? I will tell you.'

Quasimodo listened to Frollo's story with interest, happy that his master had gotten some of his old self back. But his master didn't touch on the topic he wished to learn about the most.

'Well, what do you think of it, boy?' Frollo asked upon finishing and taking a sip of wine.

'It's...great, master,' he lied. 'So, did Esmeralda go with them too?'

Frollo's eyes lifted from the cup to Quasimodo in a way that made him instantly regret his question.

'I was just curious,' he clarified.

Frollo kept the cup on the table, surprisingly calmly. 'She will remain in Paris as collateral.'

'Oh,' was his only reply. He knew better than to ask more, no matter how much he longed for it.

--

Esmeralda spent the rest of the day crying. Just after Mathias' departure she was back in prison, and wasn't allowed to even say goodbye to her people. Just imagining a life with Frollo, the old, manipulative sadist made her sick. Why did it have to be her? Couldn't he have found a Frenchwoman for himself to go crazy over? Somebody he could actually marry respectably in his eyes?

In the afternoon someone came to visit her, but it wasn't Frollo. It was her mother.

'My dear daughter!' she cried, hugging Esmeralda. Gudule was released sometime after we last saw her, and she looked significantly better.

Esmeralda recalled what Mathias had said about her father. Was it true? She didn't know, and it made her frustrated. Why did life had to throw so much at her in such little time? She didn't want to cry more; she had met her mother after so much time, and they didn't have one meeting without crying. But she couldn't help it.