Truth as it was, raw and clear

Hahaha did you think that I'd abandoned it? Actually, I got caught up in some rough family issues and finals, but I am back from the dead! The next update will come much sooner than this I promise 🫡.

PS: Remember how I said that last chapter was this fic's longest? Well...this one is almost 5k words (sorry in advance) 😅.

She was right there.

The object of his love, the root of his torment, the harbinger of his downfall, was right there in the arms of another man; no, in the arms of somebody barely a man.

Fury rose in Claude like a tide as he watched Quasimodo lifting her by the waist and giving her a twirl, while she only responded with more kisses. His already vexed thoughts grew clouded. The scenario was as astonishing as it was revolting. Esmeralda's eyes weren't holding tears, but a childlike spark, much like they did when she used to dance. She wasn't recoiling at Quasimodo's touch, but pulling him in for an embrace too intimate for a friend.

He couldn't believe that this was the same woman who used to tremble whenever he expressed his affections. That very woman was at ease being held by the monster. Not just that, she was laughing shamelessly as he befouled her with his wretched lips.

He could hear his heart break into a thousand pieces and bleed all over. This was not the fearful, debilitated girl he had left a week ago. This was the gypsy he had loved in the first place. The tenderness he had longed for from those big black eyes had appeared at last, but not like he had wanted.

"Maria, why couldn't it be for me?"

Then her ease faded, replaced by a more familiar look of terror. Quasimodo turned around and got staggered as well. They had the look of thieves caught red-handed.

The trio was mute and still. Frollo at that point was a boiling pot of milk. Esmeralda dropped to her knees. Quasimodo's heart hammered like a ticking clock. 'Master...it's not what it seems like,' he said, hiding the girl behind him.

Frollo would've liked to say something. He would've liked to castigate or break into a lecture. But then he noticed something appalling- her hand was clinging to the boy's for support. This he could not bear, and the milk surpassed its brink.

He charged forward, and with all his might, kicked the bell-ringer out of the way. Esmeralda screamed. As Frollo moved towards her, the ends of his robes swished around her face, as if she was just another peasant begging him for mercy, despite knowing that it was not to be received.

He hissed, 'How can you do this? We made a bargain, didn't we? You promised to be faithful.'

Shock had dried her mouth and paralyzed her limbs. She couldn't to reply him, or stand to fight. Frollo waited for an answer.

Quasimodo was quick to pick himself up. 'Master, spare her. She isn't well- '

'STAY QUIET!' the foster father demanded in a voice that sent chills through the couple. '

His wrath-laden eyes returned to the weak mess at his feet. 'Betraying me for that captain was one thing, but for him? This...thing?' His lip curled as he shot a resentful glance at the bell-ringer.

'Claude, listen...please. Let's go home. We'll talk there,' she beseeched, dampening his robe with her tears. He now saw how swollen her eyes were.

'What are you even doing here? Shouldn't you be at the Palace? A servant told me that you came here every day for the whole week.'

Her tongue-tied expression was sufficient to make him lose every last bit of control. He kicked her stomach, making her moan in pain as the metal of his shoe hit her. This was what he enjoyed- her being powerless while he got to do as he pleased.