Your faithless love's the only hoax I believe in

She adjusted the veil around her ears and looked in the mirror. Now she looked even more different. Slipping the amber gold bracelet on her wrist, she was reminded of a time when plain gold bangles used to bring her glee. How she used to dress in her prettiest rainbow skirts and draw a black bindi between her brows. How simple, yet how joyful. She was sure that her bangles would have gone well with her purple dress.

But now was not a time for melancholy. She was going to come off as the most confident she could be. It was the only way she could overshadow Fleur-Dy-Lys.

--

Just at the threshold of the mansion, Frollo arbitrarily put his arm around her waist. The old dame Gondelaurier was the one to greet them. She was wearing what was probably all the rage thirty years ago.

'My greetings, Monseigneur!' she bowed. Rising, she gave a brief look of hostility to Esmeralda, but then stepped aside, making way for her guests.

'It is a delight to have you attend my Fleur's banquet, it would've been even merrier if you came to the wedding,' she said leading them to the table. The high table. The glory of mansions, reserved for the most important.

Frollo replied, 'Of course I would have loved to, Madame Gondelaurier. But you know of the situation. The Duke of Austria's early arrival has come as a shock.'

'Oh yes, I understand. I hope that Charles the Sixth has planned a fitting punishment for that scoundrel of a Duke.'

'Louis the Eleventh,' he corrected.

'Of course. What, is it the Eleventh already?'

'It is,' said Frollo, pulling two chairs at the extreme corner of the table. Esmeralda understood that the furthermost seat was meant for her.

The other nobles present greeted the minister. Most fought shy of acknowledging the young girl accompanying him, but some queer glances were exchanged. Unlike them, she was not of high birth, and not of high character either.

'We are still waiting for the rest of the guests. Please, enjoy yourself till I fetch Fleur and Phoebus,' the Dame said. She then gestured to the troubadours, who until then were sitting in a corner and chatting casually. 'Monsieurs, entertain the guests.'

They hurriedly got up, apologizing. Soon Madame Gondelaurier was gone and the poets singing a poem on chivalrous knights and their bravery. The guests began to dance in groups and chatter among themselves.

'Why has he brought his mistress here?' gossiped an aristocrat in a hushed voice. His friend shrugged his shoulders. 'Well, I suppose that a sorcerer would prefer the company of a sorceress the best.'

Our couple, of course, were not participating in the dance and instead quietly eating whatever was served. Frollo took this moment as an opportunity to relish the scene. 'I see that you have started taking a liking to the things I can offer,' he commented.

She looked at him confused, before seeing that he was looking at her attire. 'Well, that is usually what lovers of noblemen do.'

He smiled at her avoidance. Clearly, the girl had begun to take advantage of his status. It would do no harm in appreciating him for it.

'Monseigneur Frollo!' greeted Jacques Charmolue out of nowhere, startling the couple.

'What are you doing here?' Frollo asked, standing.

Charmolue exchanged greetings with the girl before returning. 'I did not intend to come here. But there's something that has caused me a lot of trouble this day, and I don't believe I shall be able to sleep before discussing this with you. If you don't mind, can we?'