To Be Two And Yet Be One

'Is it the flu?'

The physician shook his head. 'I don't think so. It doesn't seem like the plague either.'

'Then what is it?

'I can't say,' replied the physician, shrugging. 'You see, madame, living in that rat-hole for over a decade, combined with your mother's age, I would've been surprised if the humors weren't disrupted by now. It's natural.'

Seeing that Esmeralda's face had worry written all over it, he took her aside. 'You needn't fret; you did the right thing by bringing her to the Palace of Justice. I've given her some herbs to help with the weakness, and the fever is gone. She will likely recover in two weeks.'

She replied, 'Thank you, monsieur. If something happens, I can call for you, can't I?' The physician bowed. 'It shall be my pleasure to serve the associates of Monseigneur Frollo. I'm at your service.'

--

Gudule was granted a guest chamber in the Palace. She rested on an armchair, wrapped in a blanket and drinking a concoction of medicine. From behind, Esmeralda came and put her arms around her neck. The mother was startled a bit before seeing who it was. 'Oh, darling, I didn't hear you enter! Sit down.' The girl questioned, 'Are you feeling better?'

'I do. That maid of yours is apt. She called for a physician as soon as we reached here. But there was no need for all this, dear.'

'I talked to the physician, and he said that keeping you here is the right thing to do. We shall buy you more clothes, and I will be able to take better care of you,' she said, hugging her mother. 'Now rest, alright? You shall recover in two weeks.'

'Anyway, how was it?' asked Gudule. That was all she needed to say to make her daughter's face liven up. She drank more of the medicine. 'Well, did you tell him everything?'

'Every single thing. For some time I considered not telling it, as I didn't know what he would think of me. But he was so kind,' she said with eager eyes. 'He kept reassuring me the whole time, and later, he said that he's always there to listen. I never imagined that it could end like this. It was just lovely and wonderful!'

'Did you repay the kindness?'

'Yes. We held hands while I narrated it to him. And when I was about to leave, I...I don't know what happened to me,' she turned bashful, twirling some of her hair. Gudule's brows arched. 'Agnes, don't tell me that you two made love!'

Esmeralda's mouth fell open. 'Of course not, mother! I only kissed his cheek.' Gudule relaxed, then laughed. 'I'm sorry. Your face is glowing.'

'You know what else? I told him that I liked holding his hand. That it made me feel safe.'

Gudule kept the cup down and even with her sick body, assumed a serious posture. 'Do you like being with him?'

Esmeralda pondered. 'I do,' she stated carefully. 'Yes, I do like being with him.'

The mother smiled, then gently said, 'Now, don't get me wrong, Agnes. But won't prolonging it just make the eventual separation worse? For both you and the hunchback?'

'Don't call him that,' Esmeralda criticized. 'So what if he's deformed? He is much more compassionate than the "able" city folks.'

'Of course you would think that,' Gudule quipped light-heartedly. Esmeralda narrowed her eyes. 'Well, I believe that if one gets a few spare moments of joy, one should cherish those, instead of dreading their end. It isn't like we are lovers.'

'But that's what people would think,' Gudule debated. 'For how long can you stay put in the cathedral? Gossip spreads like wildfire in this city.'

'Who cares about what people would think?'