Tu vas me détruire (encore)

Warning- SA in the last few paragraphs. Not graphic but there is some bad suspense.
Distressing ideas about virginity, fatalism and manipulation. Reminder that the pov is a narcissistic pervert.

For a minute both men stared blankly at her.

The torturer tried to break the silence. 'I'm sure that no one will take this as...'

'Isn't this sacrilege? Or does the law only apply to gypsies?'

'Esmeralda!' Frollo scolded. 'Master Jacques and I have put our lives into this. We are still pious Catholics. I'm just using the pagans' immoral knowledge for a moral cause.'

'Ruling the world?'

'So what? Did anyone else come up with this process? No, they did not. It is my achievement. I hold every right to use it how I wish to. Possessing such knowledge is no less than being God himself. It means that God has considered me worthy of it. If anyone questions my actions, he is but questioning God's decision, and preventing the hand of fate from running its course.'

Esmeralda looked at him with glazed eyes. The man was insane; there was no doubt to it.

'Madame,' Charmolue explained, 'the King knows of our plans. In fact, he encourages us to develop them. You need not worry.'

'And you need not tell,' warned Frollo. 'Or, you may keep in mind that you are still convicted.'

Definitely. She nodded furiously.

'Ease up, sir,' Charmolue intervened. 'Her fears are understandable. Even heathens are apprehensive of such power.'

The minister examined the gold coin. 'It is a great responsibility. I will study it further. Till then, we must hide this discovery. I suggest you to leave me alone for now.'

The proctor bowed, leaving for the door. Not knowing what to do, Esmeralda followed him.

'Esmeralda. Where were you?' she heard behind her.

'I had just gone to see my mother,' she answered hastily.

'And?'

'That was it. I'm sorry for not informing, but I didn't want to disturb you.'

'I'm never too busy for you,' he said, and despite his face being turned away from her, she could sense him smirking.

"Oh God, not now."

'Come near me, my joy- '

She cut the sound short by closing the door behind her. Then ran upstairs.

--

She ran till she arrived at the nearest room. Coming upon Charmolue talking to a servant, she stopped and stood silently. Unfortunately the proctor turned around.

'Oh! My apologies. I didn't notice you.'

She stayed as close to the wall as possible. 'I didn't want you to.'

Charmolue smiled weakly. 'I know that you will probably never forgive me. I can't put the blame on you either.'

His gaze dropped as he gave a sigh. Esmeralda tried to study his demeanor. Was he really regretful? She still remembered the day of her trial, how casually he had demanded her torture, displayed her tambourine and declared her a witch for doing simple tricks.

'Thank heavens that you weren't executed. I don't have innocent blood on me.'

"Considering your system, I highly suspect you do."

'What happened to your goat, if I may ask? Djali, wasn't it?'

Her face got stern. 'You didn't show much concern for her when you proclaimed her the devil and made her get the death sentence.'