Pains of the Past

The signing that they'd all come for was rather anti-climactic in question, lasting barely a minute. So the nobles engaged themselves in gambling and alcohol. But our conspiracists had more important things to do. After ensuring that Louis had gone in a significant extent of stupor, they went to Maximilian's room.

'Johann Mendel is a genius,' Maximilian explained. 'Since childhood, he was academically gifted, although unfortunately not wealthy. He wanted to become a professor but failed teaching exams. Nevertheless, he has immense passion for the sciences- beekeeping, fruit-growing, mathematics, you name it. Presently he's researching something that involves growing peas. I don't think that's significant, but he's confident that he shall make a phenomenal discovery.'

'What are we to do once he sees it?' said Frollo. Charmolue stood beside him and nodded like a loyal servant.

Maximilian said, 'He and some professors from Vienna will decide it. Most likely, after singing praises of your work they will sign a contract for collaborating with you. Now, all the best sirs, and make sure to assemble near the grounds at six tomorrow.'

After saying farewell, the minister and proctor were just about to leave Maximilian's chamber when the latter said, 'Monseigneur, can I have a minute with you alone?'

The men turned at him. 'Certainly,' Frollo replied and looked at Charmolue, who walked out and closed the door. Maximilian gestured for him to sit down. 'There's something that needs to be sorted out. I told Master Charmolue to leave because you told me to be careful.' Frollo nodded.

'You are the brain behind this discovery, so it's fair to ask you this,' Maximilian continued, then leaned closer. 'How are we going to divide the money?'

Frollo's hand reached out for a last sip of wine from the glass that he'd nearly finished. The duke waited as he took his time to empty it, then keep it back on the table. 'What I was pondering, Maximilian,' he said thoughtfully, 'that we would...not require the proctor once the agreement is settled.'

'But he's your greatest associate.'

The older man shrugged. 'Jacques has always been my most devoted student, but unfortunately, he isn't the brightest, nor is he the most risk-taking. He isn't cut out for fame and glory. He might say otherwise among us, but deep inside, I can see that he's unsatisfied. He is the kind of person who likes to spend his life inside a dark dungeon getting secrets out of people. He...lacks bravery, is what I mean.'

'But he came all the way from Paris to support us. Do you think that it's right for us to just dismiss him?' Maximilian asked, confused.

'I'm sure that he's a good man, but he was never too enthusiastic about my endeavors in alchemy,' sighed Frollo. 'It's a pity. He's the only person in that city who stands by me. But his loyalty to the crown is greater.' He gave a grimace reeking of suppressed pain. So, trust me with this. I shall give him a prosperous life and plenty of reward for his assistance. But we'll have to part ways once Louis is gone.'

'In that case, it's feasible to deny him credit from the start,' thought Maximilian. 'That way we can avoid controversy later if he chooses to go against you.'

Frollo replied, 'I agree. It pains me to do this to him, of course, but there's no success without sacrifices, isn't it?'

--

The minister's absence allowed the Palace to be footloose and fancy-free, with servants taking every advantage of Esmeralda permitting them to use the wine stock. While arranging dinner, they entertained themselves with drink, apples and even white bread, as well as gossiping. The new big topic was their own mistress. Throughout the week, they watched her leave the house excitedly and return tickled pink, skipping instead of walking and breaking into grins and blushes randomly.