Philosophical Ramblings in a Cathedral

Part II: La Maîtresse

A chambermaid opened the drapes to let sunlight in, making Esmeralda wake-up. She looked beside her: she was still alone. Had Frollo really kicked the bucket?

'Good morning, madame. You should get ready; we are just about to serve breakfast.'

So he wasn't dead. She rubbed her eyes remembering the past night. The bed was luxurious, but it had given her an ache.

After getting dressed she came downstairs to the table. There was Frollo, quietly drinking from a cup. If she could help it, she wouldn't be in the same room as him again. She pulled a chair away from him, sat down and focused on the cup in front of her that was being filled with ale by a servant.

'Did you sleep well?' Frollo asked.

'I did.'

'That is good, for today you shall be going to the church with me.'

It was time for another sanctimonious monologue.

--

Indeed, as soon as they left the Palace for Notre-Dame, Frollo's lecture began.

'We all are sinners, Esmeralda. The path to salvation lies in confessing your sins and seeking forgiveness for them. If you truly believe in God and accept him as your saviour, he shall certainly forgive you.'

"Accept God as my saviour or accept you as my saviour?" she thought inside.

The guards opened the cathedral gates. On Sunday mornings the place was usually filled with nobles. But Frollo being who he was, chose a time when most of the crowds were gone.

'A good morning, archdeacon,' he greeted with the smallest hint of a bow. The priest, who was lighting candles, turned around and his lips pursed. 'Good morning, Frollo. I see you are not alone today?'

'As a matter of fact. I have with me a companion, who you know. And I wish to teach her about faith.'

'I think she knows enough about faith. She has prayed in the church before.'

'But I want to teach her about the true religion of Christ and the Holy Mother. To make her seek forgiveness for her sins. Will you be kind enough to teach her?'

The priest sighed. 'If that's what you want, then fine.'

'Till then I will go and feed the hunchback,' Frollo said, dangling the basket of food on his arm.

The archdeacon rebuked, 'You have given him a very beautiful name, Frollo. At least call him that.'

He ignored him and walked towards the bell-tower. As soon as he was out of sight, the archdeacon turned towards Esmeralda concernedly.

'I am sorry about everything, child. It must be terrible. I can't handle Frollo for some hours, I can't imagine living with him. What was he saying? Seek forgiveness for your sins, huh. I think it's long due for him. God bless you.'

She interjected, 'What I've learned in the past months, father, is that there is no God for outcasts.'

The priest lifted his hands. 'My child, don't say that! You are mistaken.'

She shook her head. 'I have been mistaken on a lot of things. This is true. There is nothing truer than it.'

'It is understandable for you to feel this way. But one must never lose hope,' he advised. 'The church always listens. She protects.'

'Your church betrays!' she vented in a painful voice. The archdeacon raised his eyebrows, but said nothing.

'It mocks those who come to it with hope. It says be kind, be good, be selfless and God will protect you, God will save you. Ha! No one protects you. The selfish and powerful do whatever they want to, and no one comes to your aid. For months I prayed and hoped and begged. It only got worse. Why did he make me suffer so? Either your God is incapable to help, or he doesn't care to, or he doesn't want to. The only thing that works in this world is power and money, nothing more. And those like us lose it from our births. We are inferiors, low-lives, impure.' She shut her eyes.