Uncomfortable Advice

The next morning a servant came up to deliver a letter. Frollo tore off the seal unceremoniously. But upon reading it, his lips contorted. 'Your captain is getting married this Friday.'

The disgruntled girl tried to appear unfazed, proceeding to eat her white bread. She washed it down with stew, ignoring the announcement. He gave a soft chuckle. 'Will you accompany me to the community dinner?'

'Community dinner?'

'Yes. On Friday night, after the wedding.'

'So are we not going to see the wedding?'

He sneered, 'The Duke of Austria is coming to Paris on Saturday, and preparations about his visit will be held all week. You see, your captain is not more important than my work. Unless you want to see the wedding without me, of course, in which case I suggest your maid to keep a handkerchief at hand.'

She chose not to counter. And anyway, it wasn't like she wanted to see Phoebus kiss Fleur-Dy-Lys in front of a cheering crowd.

He got up to clean his hands in a basin at the corner of the room. Esmeralda took more of the stew, hoping that the warmth of the broth would dullen the pain weighing down her stomach, and below it. She massaged behind her ear to alleviate her head, impatient for the wretched cause of her discomfort to leave.

He put on his hat and signet, followed by other rings. She had noticed that he had a plethora on his fingers, despite his lack of love for any other ornament. Strange. He came off as so conscientious in his judge's attire, it irked her. For the world he was a principled man. Only with her did his less virtuous side emerged.

He bent down to peck both her cheeks, chuckling again at her stoic demeanor. 'Oh, how I love you.'

"Then why do you give me such suffering?"

-

She had convinced her mother to go along with her and look at the cottages available, as well as purchase some garments that were not nun's cast-offs. Although this time she preferred to take a cart. The pain was lasting longer than she had thought.

'Is everything alright with you?' Gudule asked concernedly, seeing her daughter shifting again and again in her seat. She wanted to attest that nothing was wrong but an unwelcome twinge made her loose the resolve. 'It's just a bit of soreness.'

'Where?' she inquired, looking agitatedly over her.

'Um...everywhere.'

'Why?' The former-nun was bothered. But Esmeralda had no mother till a month ago, having been raised by multiple people in the Court of Miracles over the years. They were warm and some even doted on her; but they were not parents. Neither were her friends particularly open to discuss these matters. Talks were held in hushed voices, always out of the ears of men or girls too young.

'Is it,' the mother dropped her voice to a whisper, 'is it your bleeding?'

She immediately shook her head. "I wish it was. At least that would vindicate that I didn't have that vampire's seed within me."

'Then what is it?'

She bit her lip and looked at her. The woman was seeking her answer. She shifted closer to whisper the embarrassing matter in question. Gudule raised her eyebrows, then gave an understanding nod. The girl was assured with the implication that her mother did know what she was talking about.

'Let us go back to my cell. I have some herbs we can brew up for you.' She held Esmeralda's face in her hands and tenderly kissed her cheek.

--