Within the Demon

It was strange, being so close to the surface.

Her horn was as itching quite incessantly this close up, most likely unused to the difference in water pressure compare for the depths she usually trained in. Her eyes watched the dancing rays of sunshine that broke through the waves, secretly loving each and every moment of it.

Why did she have to live so far in the deep that she was unable to see the Sun? It was beautiful, but was there truly a reason to go so far down?

This question she asked before, but was turned away without an answer, stated by her Queen that it should have been obvious as to why. Because of this conflict wasn't it?

"This is...idiotic." Oni sighed and swam up a little more, breaking through the waves and looking all around the open waters.

She was told to get use to more open waters, the lands above were where she would be most prominent in battle after all. Kiana was the brains that fed information behind enemy lines, and she was the brawn that battled on the front to take down the opponents of the Abyss.

Both positions were incredible, and both were important...so why was she so ostracized?

"Oi!" She blinked as she was yanked under the waves, courtesy of a Ri-class. "Stop daydreaming with your head out of the water! What if you got seen!"

"...There was no one ar-"

"Always assume there is! By the Queen, what have you even been taught?!"

Again, she was torn into verbally by someone she is suppose to be ranked over, but none truly cared for it. She had long grown numb over the act, knowing nothing she did would change their minds.

Although, she did have a trigger, one that many knew not to press. Unfortunately, the Ri who came to "follow" her was stepping dangerously.

"—I swear, how did you even end up getting this privileged a position? Your sister would be asha-"

Faster than the Ri could even react to, Oni unsheathed one of her two blades and held it up to her face, startling her out of her rambling. Oni's heterochromatic eyes were cold, ready to end her without a second thought.

Though, she didn't do it, and took a breath. "I do not care if you insult me, I do not care if you hurt me, I do not care if you try to shame me. By all means, do as you please, I'm only going to be doing my duties as delivered upon by the Queen."

Her blades pressed even closer, actually connecting to her nose and pushing it in slightly. "But...if you ever dare to use my sister's good name in vain, I will end you. Are we clear on that?"

The Ri was silent for a moment, before clicking her tongue and backing away. Oni sheathed her blade, seeing no need to keep it out any longer.

"I don't want a filthy sea snake like you trying to run her name through the slag you call a meal."

Ignoring the angered yell she got from the Ri, Oni began to swim off and away from her, knowing of an island somewhat close by that she wanted to rest on. Sure, it might have been going against the exact word of her Queen, but right now, she needed alone time, and it would still be beneficial.

It was a half an hour swim, not too long, but then again, she swims at supernatural speeds thanks to her heritage, and soon, she noticed the sands curving upwards towards the island. With a smile, Oni broke the waves and looked on, seeing the island ahead with it's soft yellow beaches.

'It's so peaceful...' Her boots soon hit soft sand, and she raised herself out of the waves, the kimono she was dressed in drying quickly as per it's unique design.