The Unatoned

Electo here, and I just want to say something before we continue.

This chapter is different than others, as I would like to see your thoughts on it after you finish reading. What is spoken about is deep thinking and philosophical talk, so if you feel up to it, go ahead and comment on what you've seen and what you believe once it's over.

That's all, and I hope you enjoy.
—————

BANG!!

Iowa felt something hit her, another bullet fired from another gun, this one even weaker than the sniper from earlier. She turned her golden gaze towards the shooter, and laid eyes on not just a single person, but three.

She turned her focus towards them fully, seeing a man with a pistol, clearly looted from someone else with the many notches and especially the decal of British origin. He's never shot a gun prior in his life, but he stood there with it ready, and behind him was a woman and a young girl.

"Monster...you and your beasts ruined everything for us!"

Iowa didn't comment, and he fired his gun again, the shot collapsing on her cheek while her stare stuck firm on him and his family. "You sick bastards! You killed our friends and family, destroyed everything we had! For what?!"

...

"What, not going to say anything? Are you too good for us now that you're a Demon?! What happened to the Iowa everyone loved?!"

...

He pressed the trigger again, but the click afterwards was all the indication that he needed to know he was screwed now. The gun was out of ammo, and Iowa was still standing there, staring at him without moving.

Though, she did turn to face him fully after he ran out of ammo, and for the first time, she did speak. "What happened?"

Any words he wanted to say died in his throat, Iowa slowly mulling over her words as she thought it though. "What happened...I was killed, and the ones who did it are my targets."

Again, he went to speak, but she put her hand up, silencing him. "That...was what I originally planned to do. After Seattle, I planned on completing my goals and continuing my conquest, subjugating the World above...then I began to watch the lives of Humanity, and I came to an epiphany."

Her gaze then went to the girl. "I know you own a phone. Record this, so that the world may know the truth."

After a minute of waiting, the girl eventually got her phone up and running, hands shaky as she held the camera towards Iowa. Iowa returned her gaze to the father, who was more relaxed after she seemed to be going into an explanation, rather than killing them.

"For long months, I sat and observed Humanity, watching from the safety of my home. I witnessed many things such as compassion, love, kindness, strength, justice, amongst many more things...but each and every act done of those, dozens more were done of the other spectrum."

"Treachery, assault, violence, bereavement, abuse, xenophobia, only to name a few. Yet, the thing that got to me the most was the world's reaction towards such things, how you all care for those that commit to such acts."

She was silent for a time, her face expressionless, even if her hands slowly wound tightly. "You would brush them off, put them away, sometimes even celebrate their actions...and no worse had it been done, then the actions put towards children."

"I've bore witness to violent beatings, intentional negligence, segregation, and possibly the worst I've seen, dehumanization. Actions done towards men and women who have lived in this world long enough to know it's cruelty, I do not bat an eye beyond the knowledge that they must have thrown themselves into that fire...and yet, these acts are done, and most of the time worse, to children."