Italy - Spaghetti Aglio e Olio

I'll be honest - with the simplicity with which the dish needs to be prepared and the very basic ingredients required, had me doubting about it's taste but surprisingly I am totally in love with it. So I have learnt it very nicely now that a simple doesn't mean it can't be delicious.
Spaghetti aglio e olio is a traditional Italian pasta dish from Naples. It is a typical dish of Neapolitan cuisine and is widely popular. Its popularity can be attributed to it being simple to prepare and the fact that it makes use of inexpensive, readily available ingredients that have long shelf lives in a pantry.

 Its popularity can be attributed to it being simple to prepare and the fact that it makes use of inexpensive, readily available ingredients that have long shelf lives in a pantry

Ingredients:

60 grams uncooked spaghetti

1 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups water

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 big garlic cloves or 3 small garlic cloves

1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes

1 tablespoon chopped parsley

1/4th cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

Procedure:

1. Boil the water in a vessel with the salt.

2. In the boiling water add in the uncooked spaghetti. Once it comes to a boil, remove from heat and cover the vessel to let the spaghetti to continue to cook in the hot water.

3. While the spaghetti continues to cook off from heat, silver the garlic cloves thinly.

4. In a cold pan, add the the oil and garlic and cook over medium flame. Keep stirring in between and cook until the edges of the silvered garlic start to turn brown. If the boil starts to bubble before that, reduce the heat to medium low.

5. Drain the spaghetti and put in a bowl.

6. Toss in the oil, red chili flakes, grated cheese and parsley.

7. Season with additional salt if required.

Note:

1. The cooking time mentioned for uncooked spaghetti is for the al dente texture. If you a more cooked or softer version, continue the cooking on the flame for longer time.

2. The key is slowly toasting the garlic slices to a perfect golden brown in the olive oil. If it's too light, you don't get the full flavor and if it's too dark it gets bitter.

3. If you do not have the parsley or grated Parmesan cheese then you can skip is as well.