Italy - Frico

~~ Reader Submission ~~

BYfrancescatomasini

Frico is a traditional dish of Friuli, a region in north-east Italy, consisting mainly of heated cheese and, optionally, other ingredients, such as potatoes.

Ingredients:

1kg potatoes 

 1 onion

1kg cheese

For this recipe you need 3 types of cheese:
- Seasoned cheese (no Grana Padano but with 12 months seasoning)
-Mezzano cheese (6 months of seasoning)
-Fresh cheese (no mozzarella or others, but cheese with seasoning of about 1 month). The best cheese to use is Montasio (Italian cheese)which has all three types of seasoning.

Procedure:
1. Cut the pieces of cheese into small cubes and keep them aside.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces. Blanch them in a saucepan for 10-15 minutes.
3. Once blanched, pass them in a pan with a piece of butter and soften them completely, they must be similar to mashed potatoes.
4. In another pan, add the onion and the cheeses.
5. Mix everything in the same pan and cook, being careful not to attack everything. It is better to use a round non-stick pan.
6. Keep stirring constantly until a thin crust is formed. At this point, turn the Frico as if it were an omelet.
7. Keep moving the pan to keep the part from sticking.
8. When the crust has formed on this side too, the Frico is ready and you can serve it, cutting it into wedges.

Note:
1. The best accompaniment for Frico is Polenta, that is corn flour and water cooked in a pot until it falls well.
2. Add a good glass of win (like Merlot or Cabernet), and your lunch or dinner is ready.