Australia - ANZAC Biscuits

Anzac biscuits were given their name after the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) that was established in 1914 during the first World War.

     During WW1, there are claims that biscuits (cookies) were sent by the wives and women's groups to soldiers in the war with the ingredients being those that do not spoil easily. However, these claims have also been contradicted with other claims that Anzac biscuits were never sent to the soldiers but were instead eaten at Australian and Kiwi homes during fundraisers for the war. In short, it is unclear which claim is true but there has been evidence that homemade biscuits have been sent to soldiers during the war. Were they the true Anzac biscuits?

     These biscuits can be found made with or without coconut, it is up to you and dietary needs on this addition. But today we will share the recipe that does not include coconut. Did you know the first recipe that included coconut was recorded from the city of Adelaide, Australia in 1924!

 Did you know the first recipe that included coconut was recorded from the city of Adelaide, Australia in 1924!

Lets start with everything you need!

4c rolled oats

2c plain flour

1c white sugar

250g (1c) butter

4 tablespoons (generous) golden syrup

2 teaspoons baking soda

4 tablespoons boiling water

Preheat your oven to 170*c / 150*c for fan ovens (350*f)

Get yourself a large bowl and mix together your oats, flour and sugar until it is nicely mixed together. 

In a small pot on your stove, melt the butter. Once melted, add your generous measurements of golden syrup and stir until it is dissolved. Bring it to a boil and carefully remove from the heat.

Grab another bowl, but this one can be really small, and carefully get your boiling water from its source then add the baking soda and let is dissolve, stirring upon initial pouring. Now add this mixture to your butter mixture and watch some science happen as it gets frothy! Don't worry, it will rise a little. That's a good thing!

Carefully add your froth to the oat bowl and mix well. If it is too dry, go ahead and add 1/2 teaspoon water to bind it together. Don't worry, it will be greasy and there will be parts of the oats that do not stick well and stay at the bottom of the bowl.

Prepare a baking tray lined with parchment/baking paper. With a spoon, scoop into your hand and try to form a ball about 1 to 1 and a half inches and place onto your tray about 2 inches apart.

Bake for 14 minutes, one tray at a time. They will feel soft when they are fresh out of the oven and may become hard overtime. 

Enjoy!