India - Idli

~~ Reader Submission ~~

     BY -  shalufar 

 South Indian cuisine is almost synonymous with idli (and Dosa! but let's Dosa for the next time). Idli is not only easy to make but also extremely healthy and easy to digest.

     Idli is savory cake that is popular throughout India and neighbouring countries like Sri Lanka. The cakes are usually two to three inches in diameter and are made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils (de-husked) and rice. The fermentation process breaks down the starches so that they are more readily metabolized by the body.

     A variant of Idli known as sanna (Konkani) is very popular amongst the Goans and other Konkani people. Another variant known as Enduri Pitha is very popular in Odisha.

 Another variant known as Enduri Pitha is very popular in Odisha

Ingredients: 

1) 1 cup urad dal (skinless split black lentils)

2) 3 cups par-boiled rice

 3) 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds

 4) Salt to taste

 5) Coconut oil or any other refined oil for greasing. 

 (for 10-12 Idlis)

Procedure:

1) Soak the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in enough water for 3 hours and drain.

2) Soak the rice in enough water for 3 hours and drain. 

3) Blend the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in a mixer till smooth and frothy (add water little by little as required ) remove and keep aside.

4) Blend the rice in a mixer till smooth. Remove and keep aside.

5) Combine the urad dal paste and rice paste together in a bowl and cover and keep aside to ferment overnight.

6) Once the batter is fermented add salt to the batter and mix well.

7) Put spoonful of the batter into greased idli moulds and steam for 10 to 12 minutes.

8) Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis. Serve hot with fried coconut chutney and sambhar.

Note:

1. If you do not have the Idli moulds, you can use small stainless steel bowls as well and place them in a steamer.