Australia - Meat Pies

Meat pies are an iconic Australian and New Zealand dish. Described in 2003 as Australia's "national dish"  while the New Zealanders regard the meat pies as part of a form of their national identity. However, the meat pies did not originate in Australia. The Greeks were the first to put meat inside of pies from their beginning days in the Neolithic Period, around 9500 BC. Meat pies were introduced to Australia in 1947 in a small bakery in Bendigo, becoming famously known as Four'n Twenty Pie.

     Some speculated the added tag of "pie" was inspired by the Magpie birds possibly because they both collect miscellaneous items.

     There is a contest that was created surrounding the pies that began it's run in 1990 called The Great Aussie Meat Pie Contest. The pies that are made for this contest are to be anonymously judged to find the best everyday meat pies that are made commercially and produced in Australia. In the year of 2007, Domino's in both New Zealand and Australia released a meat pie pizza! This pizza consisted of minced meat, onions, peas, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and gravy! How yummy is that?

     It is a very easy dish to make and only requires simple ingredients! There are many variations: Pizza pies with pepperoni cubes and cheese cubes (sometimes pineapples on top!, chicken pot pies, or something called Chiko Rolls which is the pie recipe rolled with beef or lamb, veggies, brown sugar, curry powder, couscous and other yummy ingredients. But even with all these other versions, the meat pie will always be a go to. You can not beat the best.

Here is what you will need!

1 onion finely chopped

500g / 1 pound beef mince

1 cup water

2 beef stock cubes

1/4 cup tomato sauce

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1 pinch salt and pepper *to taste

3 tablespoons plain flour

1 sheet shortcrust pastry

1 sheet puff pastry

1 egg to glaze

(If you like a little spice, a teaspoon of cayenne powder or some black pepper!)

Preheat your oven to 230c / 445f

In a large cooking pan, brown your meat and onion together. Once browned, add 3/4 cup of your water, the stock cubes, and then your sauces and seasonings. 

Bring it to a boil and let it simmer for 15 minutes. 

Blend the flour with the remaining water and add that to the meat. Bring it to a boil again and now simmer for only 5 minutes. Let everything soak in the delicious flavors! Once those 5 minutes are up, remove it from the heat and let it cool.

Get out your pie plate and carefully line it with the shortcrust pastry. Spoon in your cooled meat mixture and use water to get the edges of the pastry wet and sticky. 

With your puff pastry, now is the time to do any pie design of your choice or leave it to be a solid crust. The choices are endless. 

Carefully place the puff pastry at the top, pressing down to seal the edges, trim any excess edges. Brush the crust with your egg. 

Place it in the oven and let it cook for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven down to 190c / 345f and bake for 25 minutes until beautifully golden.

Last but not least, enjoy !