India - Khaman

Khaman is a savoury snack from India that originated from Bombay in then British Bombay Presidency by a Marathi chef Bhoir for a Surat based Jain family sweets vendor that later found fame in Gujarat. It is a steamed savory sponge cake with a fluffy consistency, often served with a garnish of fresh chopped coriander leaves.

 It is a steamed savory sponge cake with a fluffy consistency, often served with a garnish of fresh chopped coriander leaves

Ingredients:

For Khaman

1 Cup Besan/ Chickpea Flour

1 Cup Water

1 Teaspoon Salt

1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric

1/2 Teaspoon Hinge Powder (Asafoetida Powder)

1 Teaspoon Sugar

1 Tablespoon Crushed Green Chillis

1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice

1 Packet Eno OR 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda/ Fruit Soda

Oil For Greasing

For Garnish

2 Tablespoon Oil

1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds

Finely Chopped Coriander

1/2 Cup Water

1/4 Cup Sugar

Procedure:

1. In a bowl mix all the ingredients for Khaman except the water, Eno/Soda and oil. Mix well. Then add in the water, making sure no lumps are formed. It should form a smooth batter.

2. Cover and let it rest for 30 mins.

3. After 30 mins of rest, take a microwave safe container that has a lid. Grease this container with oil.

4. Next add the Eno or Soda in the batter and give a good mix.

5. Once well mixed, immediately pour onto the greased plate and cover with the lid. If your lid doesn't have an small hole at the top to let the steam out then don't close the lid completely and let it remain partially open.

6. Microwave it for 5 minutes. Let it cool for sometime before opening the lid as the steam caught inside can burn you.

7. Check with a tooth pick to make sure it's fully cooked. Once sure that it's cooked then start unmoudling it from the container.

8. Make a mixture of Sugar and Water from garnish and keep it aside.

9. Cut into the cooked Khaman in the plate, poke holes with a tooth pick or chopsticks all over the surface and pour the above sugar and water mixture. Keep aside.

10. In a separate sauce pan, heat the oil and mustard seeds until they cackle. Pour this over the Khaman.

11. Finely sprinkle the coriander.

12. Carefully remove from the plate and serve.

Note:

1. Traditionally it's made in a steamer.

2. You can avoid the sugar in the garnish. It will not affect the softness but you will loose a little on the taste.

3. Besan or Chickpea Flour is one of the good sources for protein for vegetarians and vegans.

4. The size of the microwave safe container should be such that when the batter is poured it should reach halfway to it's height. If it's less than than the chances of it getting burned are more and if it's more than it can overflow out of the container during the heating.