Part 22: Good Question

Sahil's POV

"Could you just get over whatever you want to say and  stop staring at me?  It's making me uncomfortable.", I moved in my chair awkwardly as Ayaan's eyes felt like they were drilling holes into my skin.

"You don't love her.", He said, loosening his tie and leaning back into his chair leisurely while still closely observing my reaction.

"Who?", I narrowed my eyes at him even though I was perfectly aware who he was talking about.

"Marilyn Monroe.", he said, rolling his eyes, "Of course, I'm talking about Ananya. Your wife."

"I don't know what you're talking about. I love Marilyn Monroe.", I said, coughing in the end, intending to show my discomfort.

"Yeah, she's amazing except for the fact that she is dead, and she hasn't signed your marriage certificate.", Ayaan said and I could tell he regretted even bringing up Marilyn Monroe.

"I should have known.", Ayaan muttered under his breath.

He then asked me, "Do you love Ananya or not, Sahil?"

"Wha-", I started to say.

He cut me off, "It's a yes or no question. Do you love her or not?"

I could tell there was no way out of this conversation so I sighed and replied, "No, I don't."

"Then why did you tell us that you do?", Ayaan's specialty was his blank stare that gave nothing away and scared the shit out of people.

Of course, it did not scare me but I knew it meant that Ayaan was in his no nonsense mode.

"That's a pretty good question.", I said, spotting a document on my table that needed to be signed and grabbed it.

I could feel his stare on me as I skimmed through the document and just as I was going to sign it, he snatched it from me.

"Answer me Sahil.", he said.

"In my defense, I never said that. You just assumed that I did.", said, now paying full attention to the conversation as I had found a fair point.

"You and I both know that I am not stupid, so why not just cut to the point?", He said, "If you don't love Ananya, why did you marry her?"

"It was either that or begging on the streetside.", I said.

"Wait, what the fuck?", he exclaimed, "Tell me more about this."

I explained all of my life story to him briefly, conveniently leaving some parts out of it.

He doesn't need to know about our bickerings, and my infidelity at all, hers (presumed) as well.

"And why pray tell, Sahil, did I overhear two employees saying that one of their friends namely Amelia was in a relationship with you, a week ago?", He said.

Well, damn. Busted.

"You know, there are rumors about me dating someone every alternate day Ayaan, and you know not to take them seriously.", I deadpanned, "Just yesterday, I saw an article claiming I was in a relationship with some Italian model Aurora, and the pic attached was from a convention two years ago."

"What does she feel about this marriage?", he asked.

"She hates it just as much as I do."

"So you piss her off by bringing home girls?"

Oh, so he knows. Well, I can cover it up, no one knows how to lie better than I do.

"What?", I furrowed my eyebrows, "Who told you that?"