Part 28: Drunk and High

Ananya's POV

Suddenly, my phone rang interrupting me out of my reverie.

I looked at both of the parents and then silenced it, letting it ring.

Since it was inside my purse, I didn't see who it was just silencing it, so that it didn't interrupt me.

It probably was my friends, or Rohit, who has no work and loves calling me, texting me, to disturb me.

If it was important, they would call me again.

"You should have picked it up Ananya. What if it was important?", mom said, expressing concern.

"It's fine, mom. I don't think it was important.", I shrugged it off, "And also, this breakfast is really really awesome. I don't think I want to stop eating which is wrong because it is going against my diet plans."

"Nonsense, you work 11 hours a day, you need a good breakfast, and you have gotten really thin, you should eat more.", she said.

"Mom, I am leaving.", Sahil stood up, but since the chairs were customised not to make noise, there was no sound. Otherwise, the whole building would have heard the noise, that's how loud and rudely he stood up.

"Wait Sahil, what do you want for lunch, I will send it to you. And you too Ananya, shall I send it to you too?"

"I don't think I can eat anything after this mom, honestly. If I'm hungry, I will eat something with my colleagues at the cafeteria, if I'm hungry. But I most probably won't. I will directly eat dinner now. Also, mom. I know you love cooking and I love your cooked food, but please don't overwork yourself. Just relax. The house helpers will do it.", I said, my eating was now done as well, and I also got up to wash my hands.

"Yes mom, I also don't want lunch.", Sahil announced before leaving.

"Bye, dad.", he called out, at the doorway.

Is this guy an idiot, why is he not saying anything to me, it'll be suspicious if I say anything myself, or nothing is said at all.

"Bye, baby. Love you.", it seemed like he had realised his blunder, so he called out to me too.

"Bye darling. Take care," I blew a flying kiss at him.

I did not just call him darling.

I seriously am too old for this drama.

Soon after, he was out of the door and I'm pretty sure he must be snapping and glaring at his driver for driving slow when it's his fault for getting late.

"I'm leaving too, mom. Thanks for the breakfast.", I said.

Like the douchebag he was, Sahil didn't say anything to his mother about the breakfast, but of course, I was not like him. I had the courtesy to thank her.

"Ananya, can I ask you something?", her words made me pause for a moment but then I continued walking towards Sahil's room.

I had to get my laptop bag from the room.

"Of course, mom.", I said, "But make it fast please. I'm kinda getting late."

And I also don't want you to suspect the fake nature of me and your son's relationship.

"Are you happy in this marriage Ananya? I know you had to leave everything behind for our son and come here to live with him just for our sake.", she said to me.

Now his dad also spoke, "We have noticed you both from yesterday and we feel like you have warmed up to each other pretty good. But if you ever feel like my boy's too rude and cold, please know that something happened in the past which made him like this, and he is a really good person at heart, please believe me. Not as Sahil's father. But as your favourite uncle, as your father's best friend, trust me. You two are the perfect matches for each other."

He now kept a head on my hand,

"I want to thank you for saving my honor and agreeing to this marriage and trying to make it work Ananya. I am so proud of you."

Ohkay...

That's a lot to take in.

But first..celebrations.

It worked!!!

All the drama and antiques I went through to make them believe weren't a failure!!

I am really happy!

I mentally teleported a quick hi-five to Sahil for making this work.

"I know he is a good guy dad. He has a lot on his mind, but deep down, he takes really good care of me."

He is not a good guy! He does have a lot on his mind but he doesn't show even an ounce of care for me!

"And because of his you know previous reputation, not many people would have been keen on marrying him but I'm really glad that we found a perfect match for my Sahil."

Perfect? More like disastrous.
Gautam uncle, your son and I make a really dysfunctional and toxic couple who can't go five minutes without arguing with each other.

And about his previous playboy reputation, you are clearly wrong. Almost every girl in India wants to marry him, not knowing he is off the charts. Say that to the girls he brings home everyday and tell them to do 'Try not to laugh' challenge.

"I will take good care of your son dad. Trust me.", I held his hands, promising him something which I wouldn't be able to do, but I had to wrap up this conversation because I was getting really late.

Before they could say anything else to me, I took off for Sahil's room, packing all my stuff in the laptop bag and slinging it over my shoulders.

I briefly looked at myself in the mirror, fixed my mangalsutra and hair.

I directly approached the living room.

"I'm leaving, bye mom. Bye dad.", I called out before leaving.

While in the care, I was still feeling the excitement of finding out that our acting had worked, so I decided to type that out to Sahil.

But of course, in my usual cold way.

Sahil Sharma

Ananya-
It worked.

Sahil must still be in his car cause he read the message in an instant.

Sahil-
What worked?
And I told you not to text me unless it was important.

Ananya-
I know. It's not like I am dying to text you. This one was important.

Sahil-
Go ahead and tell me then. What worked?

Ananya-
My new hair care routine.

Sahil-
The fuck?
Why are you telling me this?
Are you high?

Ananya-
It doesn't take a genius to know what worked.
It's not like you and I were trying for a baby and it worked.
You know what, this analogy is weirder, just forget I ever said this.

Sahil-
Seriously, Ananya?
Are you drunk or something?

Ananya-
Yes.
Drunk and high on my hate for you.

I could literally feel the eye roll coming from Sahil.

Instead of my phone beeping with the notification sound, I heard a call ring.

I frowned as I saw Sahil Sharma highlighted on the caller's name.

Why the fuck is that dude calling me?

I reached for the button in my car that brings the barrier between the driver and me before sliding my finger to answer the call.

Word Count: 1214 words.

Published on : 31 Dec 2023

Are you liking the chapters so far?