6. - Simple Boring Days

"'Cause I need freedom now,
and I need to know how
to live my life as it's meant to be."

- "The Cave" by Mumford & Sons -

*****

Samuel

After tirelessly searching through crates with the vixen customer, hoping to find her specific request, I eventually admit defeat. Overwhelmed by unfamiliar artists and album titles, I realize my musical knowledge as a part-timer is not as extensive as I thought. Approaching the vixen again, I sheepishly ask, "Sorry, but would it be okay if you wait here for a moment?"

Thankfully, the vixen is understanding. "Yeah, sure, take your time. I'm not in a hurry."

I quickly make my way to Maya, who is engrossed in performing quality control checks on the newly arrived record stocks from the previous day. "Um, May? I think I—"

"Okay, hold on. Let me just... finish this..." Opening the sleeve, her claw delicately returns a vinyl back into its sleeve before organizing it with the others in a crate. Finally, she turns to me. "So. What's the specific request again?"

I hesitate. "It's quite daunting."

"Specific requests are always daunting at some point. Can you give me some details?" Maya crosses her arms, ready to mentally note everything I tell her.

"Um... She mentioned Radiohead, and..."

"Which album?"

I hum, trying to recall. "Um... Moon Shaped... something?"

"A Moon Shaped Pool," Maya affirms with a nod. "Okay, what else? Does she want something different or specific?"

I pause briefly. "Well, she just mentioned wanting something experimental. Isn't that album experimental?"

"Yeah, it is."

I continue, realizing Maya is waiting for more information. "She also asked for the ones with anti-static inner sleeves, preferably original pressings, and-"

"I think that's enough. She's clearly a genre collector after a mint copy," Maya states confidently, striding towards me as I awkwardly stand by the open storeroom door. "Just watch and learn."

Within just ten minutes, Maya successfully persuades the vixen to audition "Every Kingdom" by Ben Howard in the listening station. The vixen even ends up purchasing it. "Don't worry, I was also terrible six months ago," Maya consoles me when I ask her how she managed to do it.

"Sometimes I wish buyers would ask for more middle-of-the-road stuff," I remark as Maya observes me organizing vinyl in the Country Corner aisle. She chuckles softly and responds while playing with her phone, "Don't worry, you'll come across plenty of those. And you'll also get sick of those."

In the midst of my tasks, a sudden thought strikes me. "Is Vinylomanics really the biggest record store in Monteverde?"

"Well, there is another one, but it's quite far. On Seraphim Bluffs? Near the old town? Groove Junction?" Maya glances up from her phone, expecting a nod of recognition from me.

I shake my head firmly. "Nope, never heard of it."

Maya simply shrugs, an air of indifference surrounding her. "Oh. Well, ours is still the bigger store. I think it's because the wealthy students and parents are our biggest assets here. I mean, there are plenty of apartments in this area. But, really though, even though Verdeluna Heights is something else, I'm glad we still have locals coming here."