22. - Wishful Thinking

"Of all the money that e'er I had,
I spent it in good company
And of all the harm that e'er I've done,
Alas, it was to none but me"

- "The Parting Glass", a Scottish traditional folk song -

*****

Tyson

Enrolling in Hoovensguaard for law school was a deliberate choice. And worst of all, on my part too. Following the drunken stupor the night before my graduation, where my parents unearthed my past recklessness despite my accomplishments, their faith in my ability to mature independently waned.

Mom hinted that attending law school elsewhere was an option, but it came with a laundry list of expectations: maintaining impeccable grades to demonstrate my commitment, securing internships at prestigious firms, obtaining a recommendation from Dad's influential associate for a leg up, and these are just the tip of the iceberg. But I know better that they exist in the first place to steer me back to Hoovensguaard. And realizing that my idealism cannot be realized, I let them win.

Initially, I questioned their confidence in sending me back to a place where I'd indulged in my "reckless behaviors." Then it clicked — Hoovensguaard is connected to Mom's old friend. They're sacrificing my autonomy for their personal competitive agendas. And whether it's a matter of familial rivalry or it's just me assuming, it sucks at the end of the day.

Thankfully, the prospect of reuniting with friends offers a glimmer of comfort amid the wreckage of dashed dreams going down the drain. Still, I rue the missed opportunities for academic pursuits abroad and immersive travel experiences simply because of a single ill-fated party and three shots of vodka. And panoramically, what's there in Monteverde? Just the old town, the lookout points, some historical landmarks, hiking trails...

And I guess Samuel and Foster, who are currently riding along in my car after I offer them a brief recapitulation for my return to Hoovensguaard. And right now, we're navigating downtown en route to watch Matty's group debate at a hotel.

As we arrive around noon, the car parks outside the building, right under the shade of an elm tree. We step out, the door closing with a definitive thud. After ensuring the car is securely locked, we stride purposefully toward the entrance. Inside, the lobby exudes an air of opulence, with polished marble floors and glistening chandeliers casting a soft glow.

As my gaze sweeps across the lavish interior, I catch Samuel pausing, his attention affixed to something. With practiced discretion, he discreetly captures a moment with his phone — a snapshot of two young women, one an Arctic wolf and the other a Border Collie, holding hands on a metal bench, minding their own business.

"You could get sued for that, you know?" I interject, attempting to dissuade Samuel from his impromptu photography session. His reaction is nonchalant, unfazed by my caution.

"I'm aware, but I can't pass this up. Not like I'm planning to post this online, you know? Just for my personal gallery." The Birman slips his phone back into his fanny pack. Foster and I exchange knowing glances, amusement twinkling in our eyes. Samuel doesn't like what we're doing. "What?"

Before I can add anything, Foster beats me to it. "Just a gentle reminder, we're law students."

"Ugh, fine." Samuel unexpectedly strides toward the women, engaging them in conversation. As they converse, I can't help but wonder about the nature of their exchange. Eventually, Samuel returns to us with a scowl. "I got their permission to take the photo, and they're fine with it, and I shared it with them. Happy now?"