21. - Unlikably Likely

"It's hard to believe it
Even as my eyes do see it
The very things that made you live,
They're killing you"

- "Shelter" by Ray LaMontagne -

*****

Samuel

A familiar voice slices through the air, punctuating the conversation that Matty and I are currently having. "Samuel!" I pull my attention to the left where Wilma, my supervisor, strides toward us, her face lit up with a grin that could rival the sun. Her brisk steps send her ID card dancing on its lanyard with each bounce. "You're here early."

"Hey, Wilma!" Rising from the bench to meet her halfway, Matty trailing behind. As Wilma reaches us, I share a warm hug with her, our laughter mingling with the ambient sounds of the park.

Wilma's eyes flicker to Matty. "And who do we have here? Thinking about lending a hand as well?"

He bats away the preconception, subtly raising his paws. "Oh, no, I'm just here to drop off my friend."

"Ah, no worries." Wilma accepts his explanation with a simple tilt of her head.

Indeed, back in February, Matty and my EngLit friends rejected my invitation to join Monteverde Action Group for Inclusive Care, or Magica for short. It's a local NGO that focuses on aiding homeless and marginalized communities. My decision to pursue this opportunity stemmed partly from the mounting pressure of my scholarship commitments. Choosing an external organization over any student's organization was a deliberate choice driven by my longing to break free from the monotony of staring at a screen. During the interview, I expressed interest in roles like Street Outreach Worker or Food Program Assistant, envisioning hands-on involvement in community activities. However, reality veered from my expectations when I was appointed as the Community Liaison Officer due to quotas being filled for the roles I preferred.

Although mildly disappointed, I'm thankfully a pro when it comes to sucking things up. But since then, there have been instances where I've found myself exceeding my daily quota of social interaction.

Take today, for example, when I'm tasked with overseeing Magica's annual summer charity bazaar after a slew of technology-driven duties. Engaging with people, both online and in person, is inevitable. While I appreciate Magica's flexibility, the constant demand for interaction can be draining. Fortunately, this stint will only last until the start of the third semester. Wilma's exceptional kindness towards other volunteers also makes me wonder if she's the one volunteering or the one in charge. Technically, it's both. Still, hopefully, I'm just required to oversee the tenants today.

Matty keeps glancing over his shoulder, clearly itching to leave. Finally, he vocalizes his desire, "Well, I'm gonna go now. You gonna need a ride later or...?"

I hum, contemplating his offer. "Thanks, but I'll give you a call if I do. If not, I'm good on my own."

"Alright then. Take care, Sam. Wilma." Matty nods before striding off toward his car parked in the distance.

We wave our paws at him. Once Matty's out of earshot, Wilma suddenly nudges me. "That your buddy?"

I nod. "Yeah. My roommate too, actually. We live in the same apartment now."

"He's hot AF."

I knit my eyebrows at her. "Excuse me?"

"What? Look at him! Lean, the right amount of tall, quiet..."

"You don't know him, though. He's not quiet once you get to know him, plus—"

"I know he's hot, though. And younger than me."