10. - Flooding Lanes Make Oceans Vibrant

"I love my mother / I love my father / I love my sisters too.
I bought this guitar / To pledge my love / To pledge my love to you."

- "Rock Bottom Riser" by Smog -

*****

Samuel

I left my mother
I left my father
I left my sisters too.

Maya softly sings along to a song playing on the speaker, a tune unfamiliar to me, as she diligently mops the parquet floor. Meanwhile, I'm stationed behind the cashier, counting the money from the machine.

I left them standing on the banks
And they pulled me out
Of this mighty, mighty, mighty river

I am a rock
Bottom riser
And I owe it all to you

"You know, May," I begin without missing a beat, "as strange as your playlist is, I think I like it."

Maya chuckles, continuing her task. "Thanks. Most of the songs I listen to are pretty underground, so I won't judge if you- Shit!" Maya's own words are abruptly cut short when she accidentally knocks over a crate of vinyl records and a box of cheap and used Halloween decorations. I pause my work and walk over to her as she deflates with a tired sigh, her gaze fixed on the scattered mess. "Well, at least it's not the shelf."

"Let me help you check for any damage, okay?" I offer, and Maya hisses with embarrassment. "I... Thanks, Sam."

"It's all good. You'd do the same for me. Plus, you still have a bunch of floors to mop." I hastily scoop the fallen decorations back into their box before returning to the pieces of vinyl.

"Yeah, but still. I feel like I owe you, especially since I've been here longer than you."

"Maybe you can repay me with a visit to that new Takoyaki bar at the end of the block?" I jest as I carefully extract a vinyl record from its sleeve that fell on the floor, quickly inspecting its surface for any scratches, warps, or pressing defects.

"I mean, sure. I've got money now," she casually replies while continuing her mopping. Noticing her sincerity, I quickly clarify, "O-Oh, no, please don't do that, I was just joking."

Maya giggles at my nervousness. "Well, I wasn't."

Sure enough, once the store is shuttered and the Halloween decorations have been set up, Maya wastes no time in dragging me to the bar, ignoring my explanation that I already made plans with Matty for a ride home. Resistance proves futile against her persistence, especially when my growling stomach chimes in at the constant mention of Takoyaki. So, with a shrug of surrender, I give in to her offer of free Takoyaki. I mean, who am I to refuse a complimentary dinner (or snack) when forced?

We arrive at the aptly named empty stall, Octobits Takoyaki, and approach a plump panda girl eagerly awaiting customers. Scanning the menu taped on the plexiglass sneeze guard, we place our orders, engaging in conversation as we await our piping hot treats. Finally, the moment arrives when our orders are served, and Maya, generously paying for both of us, earns my sheepish gratitude. We leave the stall, each clutching our own box of Takoyaki.

As we stroll back to the record store, Maya's new bike safely stationed at its post on the front, we take a seat and indulge in our savory treats by the street. Silence accompanies our chewing, interrupted only by the occasional text I send to Matty, inquiring about his ETA. True to his nature, he responds promptly, assuring me he'll be there in ten to fifteen minutes.