18. - Come and Sit with Me (Pt. II)

"Could you
Flag me down and beg me to
Drop what I'm doing and sit beside you"

- "Family and Genus" by Shakey Graves -

*****

This chapter's narrative will rely heavily on dialogues, so bear with me :)... Also, trigger warning below:

⚠️TW: death, suicide

*****

Samuel

"I still suck at understanding American football." I pop another kernel of my dwindling salted caramel popcorn into my mouth. "Not that I'm good at sports, that is." Over yonder, Tyson sits alongside his teammates, each donning the Thunderhoof Guardians' jerseys that shimmer under the rather bright lights inside the press room.

"Skill issue," Quinlan teases, his gaze fixed on the stage where Tyson is set to address the media. "Once you get the hang of it, it'll come naturally."

"Yeah, well, not everyone's built to be a linebacker, asshole."

We observe the press conference from the back, reporters swarm around the coach, their cameras flashing to capture every moment. The room still buzzes with the sound of shuffling papers and clicking keyboards when the coach retreats, replaced with Tyson. The tiger strides toward the podium, and the room hums with anticipation as reporters and photographers vie for the perfect angle.

When Tyson adjusts the microphone, the crowd falls silent. "As we wrap up a successful Spring Game here at Hoovensguaard University, I couldn't be prouder of my team's performance tonight," Tyson begins, his words ringing clear over the PA system. "All credit goes to our esteemed Coach Fullard and the entire team. We've poured our hearts into this, day in and day out, and it's paid off. Though some of us, including me, will retire after this, this is still the beginning for Thunderhoof Guardians. We've got bigger goals ahead, and I know that with the dedication and talent of every player on this team, we can achieve greatness."

Despite our shared history, I've always respected his grit and commitment to his dual passions: law and football. Now, watching him effortlessly command the crowd, I can't help but feel a pang of envy.

Quinlan elbows me, breaking my reverie. "What?"

"Looks like your buddy's killing it up there."

"Yeah." I tear my eyes from Quinlan, focusing back on the press conference. "He's come a long way since high school."

"Wait, you two were pals back then?"

Oh, right. I keep forgetting not everyone knows.

"Yeah, we were." I munch on another bite of popcorn, hoping he doesn't delve further.

Quinlan nods knowingly. "It's always motivating to witness someone pursue their dreams, regardless of where they come from."

Hearing that, I manage a smile. "He's a beast on the field, I'll give you that."

When the press conference winds down, the reporters disperse to craft their stories. Tyson exchanges a few words with his coach and teammates, their bond evident as they share a final chant before going their separate ways. Amidst the hustle, Tyson scans the crowd and spots Quinlan and me enjoying our respective snacks. He strides over, his strides purposeful.

"Hey, guys!" Tyson's voice rises above the din, his grin contagious. "Thanks for coming out to show support."

Quinlan nods, a sincere smile stretching across his dragon snout. "'Course, man. You nailed it up there."