Chapter 14 Happy Birthday

Ai tossed and turned that night. Nervous energy stopped her from sleeping. It was Ai's eighteenth birthday. The night before her mother gave her a large box wrapped in colorful paper. Ai just couldn't sleep. She wanted too know what was in the box. She sat up and looked around the dark room. Where was the gift? Wait, where was Satochi? Ai looked frantically. "Narcissistic asshole! He left me alone! On my birthday of all days!" Ai whispered. She got out of bed. The clock read 4:00 AM. Tecnicly Ai's birthday. She walked down stairs as silently as she could. she could hear something downstairs. It sounded like Satochi. "Did you give her the gift?" Satochi whispered. "Yep." A familiar voice chimed happily. "Good. Now the plan will work." Satochi smiled."Oh I'm so happy! so very happy!" The voice became more clear. It was Chizu. Ai stepped closer. Creek. Ai stepped back one step. Please have them not have heard me, Ai thought."Awake early aren't you?" Satochi called from downstairs. Shit! Ai had been caught. "I could say the same to you." Ai questioned as she stepped into the kitchen.  "What are you doing down here?" Ai looked at the table it had three boxes. One was very small, one was medium, the last one was large."Nothing." Satochi lied. "What's in the boxes?" Ai asked."Um. Stuff." Satochi smiled weakly. "What kind of stuff?" Ai pried. "Well you know, guy stuff." Satochi continued to lie."Guy stuff? Wrapped in colorful paper." Ai pointed out. "Tell me the truth about what's in the boxes.""Fine. Their your gifts." Satochi gave in."Ha! I knew it." Ai smiled and dashed over to the table. Satochi stopped her halfway. "Not yet." Was all he said to her. Satochi scooped her up in his arms. He carried her upstairs and into her room. "You have to wait.""But it's after midnight. There for my birthday." Ai argued."You can wait a few more hours." Satochi told her as he walked out the door. Ai sat in her dark room. What was he doing? Why can't she open her presents? Ai sounded like a little kid. She sat in the room anxious. This was her first real birthday, or at least one with presents. She waited anxiously in the dark room. Hoping to hear a knock at the door. She could barely hold in her excitement. Satochi knocked on the door. Ai turned and ran to open the door. she pulled it open and smiled. "Present time." He smiled and grabbed her hand. He pulled her down the stairs. The boxes lay on the table. There was a cake too. She ran and ripped open the largest box. It was filled with art supplies. Her face lit up. "Thank you!" Ai smiled. She moved on to the medium box. It had a new sweatshirt in it. She couldn't believe this is what a birthday was like. She went to go open the small box but Satochi snached it. "This one I open." He smiled slyly. He got down on one knee and opened the box. "Ai will you marry me?"