Under African Skies (Paul Simon One-Shot)

You had always been the biggest fan of Paul Simon. Even before you married him. In your eyes your husband was a musical genius and never put out a bad song, but not everyone felt that way. His most recent album, 'Hearts and Bones' had been a commercial failure. You were devastated for him, but Paul didn't seem so bothered and ploughed ahead to the next one.

     He pitched the idea, as he did all others, to you first. You became instantly very excited about the prospect of a record influenced by South African music. You loved being surrounded by the unique sounds in the following days as Paul conducted his research. Although, it didn't seem as though much planning went into the process at all. Suddenly, you were in the foreign continent and Paul had next to no written material with him.

    After the initial stress of the trip had subsided, you allowed yourself to appreciate the beauty of the country. With Paul next to you, it felt more like a holiday than work. You held your husband's hand as you looked out the window together. You couldn't suppress a smile and the excitement was back in full force.

    It soon became time for Paul to get in the studio and start recording. He said he wanted you to go out and enjoy yourself, but you knew that he also wanted you out of the way so as not to distract him from his work. You wandered the streets of South Africa, not knowing your way around, just soaking things in. It was all going quite well and you were on your way back to your husband when you stumbled upon a large group of angry protesters. You didn't understand what it was all about but couldn't help feeling that it was very important and had been going on a long time. Trying to avoid the conflict as much as possible, you became lost even further in an unfamiliar place.

    When you eventually found your way back to your temporary home you were exhausted and fearful. However, when you saw your husband's adorable smile you were instantly cheered up significantly. "Did you have a good day (Y/N)?" You managed a small smile and a quick nod. "How were things with you? Finished the record yet?" This made Paul laugh, as you had intended. "It was a difficult start, but I think we understand each other more now and I think think it's going to be something special." Your brain tried to imagine what it was all going to sound like in the end. "Can't wait to hear it."

    The next day you woke up and Paul was already gone. It was great that he loved his work so much, but sometimes it made quite a lonely life for you. You weren't sure if you could handle facing the unfamiliar on your own today. You showed up to the studio planning to lay low, but Paul saw you and immediately stopped the session. He left the group and approached you. "What are you doing here? I told you to get out and see the sights." You could tell he was frustrated. "I know, I'm sorry, it's just that yesterday-

You were cut off when another man joined your conversation. "Sorry to interrupt, but we were wondering if we were taking a break."

"Yeah, that's a good idea. This is my wife (Y/N). And this is Joseph Shabalala of Ladysmith Black Mambazo." Joseph smiled at you. "Pleasure. I would be happy to show you around."

"Maybe when we have this song." You later found out that it had been a struggle to get to the finished product, but what you had seen that day was perfect in one take.

     You took Joseph up on his offer for a proper tour. It was definitely a bonus to get driven around instead of walking in the heat. "You were so incredible. I can't believe I was there for the recording of such a beautiful song, it's unlike anything I have ever heard before." He put a hand to his chest. "Thank you, but it was your husband's song. And you were the good luck charm." You gave a short laugh, but still felt flattered. "Try telling Paul that. He never likes me sitting in." Joseph brought the car to a stop and turned to look you in the eyes. "He loves you very much, (Y/N). Even more than his music. I can tell by the way he looks at you and talks about you. He is not trying to push you away." You leaned over for a hug. He made you feel so welcome.

When you saw Paul again you could tell that something was wrong. "What happened?" He had his head in his hands. You sat next to him, your hand on his back. "We need to leave, (Y/N). The UN boycott... It's not safe here and I only care about protecting you." You abruptly stood up. "What?! No! No... no! You are finishing this record, Paul Simon! It's far too important to quit now." Paul was taken aback at your insistence.

"It doesn't look like the record will be released at this point."

"Well, we're just going to have to take one more risk then." Paul smiled at you and gave you a kiss. "How can I say no to you? And how did I get so lucky?"

It was a long battle but the album 'Graceland' became a big success, all thanks to you for believing in it. You loved being front row for all of the tour and getting to see your South African friends again.