'Til I Kissed You (Don Everly One-Shot)

You had always been friends with the Everly brothers, even before they were a famous singing duo. You didn't see them too much anymore but you still made an effort to reach out to them.

You phoned up Don since he was the older of the two but also because you still had unspoken feelings for him. You hadn't expected him to pick up first time and so suddenly. "Hello?" Your breath hitched in your throat for a second, your heart skipping a beat at hearing his voice on the other end of the call. "Hi Don, it's (Y/N). I was just wondering, um- the thing is, I'm having some friends over this Saturday and- well, you probably can't make it, but I thought I might as well invite you... and Phil, of course..." The way you became so flustered you would think you hadn't known him for most of your life, but you were usually a bit nervous around Don. "Oh, hey, (Y/N). That sounds great, we'll be there! It will be good to see you again." You couldn't help yourself smiling widely as you wrapped up the call, but then your nerves took ahold again. What if he found you boring after all this time?

The truth is, the two brothers were glad to have a little boring. To be in a room with people they knew, wearing casual clothing rather than the signature suits they performed in. Your little party was going smashingly well and you managed to avoid awkwardness, until one of your friends suggested that you all play 'Truth or Dare'. Even though you were technically in charge, you couldn't say no when so many people thought it was a great idea.

At least it was a while until someone called upon you. You knew it was an important decision and tried to think through the possible outcomes as quickly as possible. You really didn't feel like spilling your guts and making a fool of yourself in front of Don and choosing Dare often earned more respect, so that's what you went with. "Okay, (Y/N), I dare you to..." your friend wore a devilish grin as they came up with something. "...kiss Don! For no less than 10 full seconds." A blush rose to your cheeks as you began to panic. "Well, that's not exactly fair on Don, I mean, it's supposed to be a dare for me and you're dragging him into it as well." You tried to worm your way out of it without sounding cowardly. "It's fine, (Y/N). It'll be over like that." You heard Don weigh in. You gave a small nod, trying to convince yourself that a kiss didn't mean anything, that it was for a stupid game and it's not your fault. It would easily be ignored afterwards, wouldn't it? You decided to kiss him properly, knowing it would probably be your last chance to do so and wanting to give people a show and not embarrass yourself with Don. It felt magical, how you always dreamed it would be. When you pulled away, you felt an overwhelming sadness knowing that it wasn't really real. You turned your head away as you heard a couple of cheers from your friends. "Okay, that's enough of that childishness, game over!" You announced. You didn't care if people were upset, you just didn't want it going any further. "Come on, (Y/N), don't you want your revenge? I know I'd be pretty mad if someone forced me to kiss Don." Phil joked. You gave a slight laugh. "That's actually a pretty good idea, Phil. But if you're really not up for it, how about you boys give us a song?"

Despite excuses about not being prepared or having any instruments, they sure put on a show. Their harmonies came so naturally and you could listen to them sing all day. You couldn't take your eyes off of Don the whole time, feeling mesmerised by him.

When saying your goodbyes, you hugged Phil, then went on to do the same for Don when he pressed a kiss to your cheek. You didn't think too much of the gesture as you felt your skin flush, although you had never experienced it before. You just proceeded with the embrace before they both left.

As the two brothers went on their journey, Phil said "that was nice, wasn't it!" Don had a far off gaze and replied uncertainly. "Yeah... Say, Phil, has (Y/N) always looked like that? Like, has she changed her hair or something?" Phil gave a nervous chuckle at his brother's odd question. "I'm pretty sure she hasn't changed since the last time we saw her, why?" Don shifted, trying to act cool. "Oh, no reason, she just seems different is all. She looks good though, really good..." Phil grinned at Don's cluelessness. "Well, it seems to me like you've got a lot of feelings there. If you can put them into words it might make a pretty good song." Don nodded thoughtfully, getting to work right away.

The Everly Brothers were performing on television and you were sat watching, captivated as usual. Don spoke into the camera. "This next song is a new one, it's about someone we've known for a long time and she's very, very... inspirational. It's called 'Til I Kissed Her', hope you like it." You listened carefully to every word of the song, feeling chills as you remembered the moment when you kissed Don.

After their performance was over, Don phoned you as soon as he could. "Hey, (Y/N), did you catch the show?" "Yes." You breathed, not wanting to say anything further in fear of embarrassing yourself. "Well, that song was about you. Ever since that party of yours I can't stop thinking about you. I think I'm in love with you, (Y/N)." You felt tongue-tied, not quite being able to believe the words you were hearing. "Hello?" came Don's worried voice through the phone. "I love you too, Don."