Goodnight Girl (Marti Pellow One-Shot)

You never quite got used to the fact that you were dating the gorgeous frontman of Wet Wet Wet, Marti Pellow. You had always been a self conscious person and the potential of being in the public eye really didn't help matters. What made things even worse was that Marti was always desperate to try and show you off.

It wasn't that you were embarrassed to be seen with him, although you understood how it could come off that way. It was in fact the opposite, you thought you weren't good enough for him and did not want to hear what others thought about you, or to be compared to better women.

You often felt uncomfortable at celebrity filled parties where you were so ordinary and unexciting. You did make an effort, wearing bold and eye-catching outfits and makeup, but it was mostly to distract from what was underneath and in an effort to not embarrass your boyfriend. You caught sight of Rick Astley with a camera and immediately grew nervous. "Wow! That dress, (Y/N)... I've never seen anything like it! How about a picture of you and Marti?" Marti already had his hand around your waist when you countered. "What about one of you two? Music superstars and all?" You saw Marti's face fall briefly before he put on his amazing signature smile for the camera. One of yours and Marti's favourite songs came on and he asked you to dance with him. You felt guilty, but with camera still in hand replied. "You go right ahead. I'm just going to take a few more shots." You got a few snaps of him in action. He looked so happy and seemed to be enjoying himself and you were content being behind the camera.

You never missed an opportunity to watch your boyfriend perform live and as the group gained popularity they were invited to make a televised performance on Top of the Pops. You were so proud but knew that it also meant more eyes on him. Marti wanted you to watch from the very front but you worried yourself with the thought of being caught on camera. So, you held back a bit, not wanting to gain attention but you still had a perfect view. Marti, however, did not. He definitely would have been able to notice you in the front, but as it stood, he could not see you at all with the bright lights in his face. This discouraged him, not that anyone else was aware of the fact. He was bouncy with energy and you noticed all of the cheers from women in the audience. Your insecurities grew as you stopped singing, realising how loud, out of tune and sweaty you really were.

When you were back home, you were glad of the chance to just relax and sit around the house. Marti was really glad to be spending more time with you as well. It was a really warm day so you were wearing shorts and a sleeveless T-shirt with your hair messily put up trying to battle the heat. With your guard down, Marti quickly snapped a picture of you. He had a smile on his face. "This is a really good one, if I do say so myself. I'll get it hung up in a frame on the wall and get a small one for my wallet or even put it in a locket." You were annoyed at him for taking a picture without asking especially when you were feeling so disgusting. "No, Mark, just delete it!" He turned the camera, showing you the photo, hoping to bring you around to it. You lunged for the camera, but he pulled it back quickly, giggling like a child. You became anxious, really not wanting the photograph to see the light of day. "Please, Mark, just get rid of it." You begged, tears starting to form in your eyes. His face turned stern. "What's going on with you, (Y/N)? You hide away and never want to be seen with me. I love you and I can't even have a picture of you? There is no evidence of our relationship." You knew he had a point, but you just couldn't shake your feelings. "I'm sorry, Mark. It's just that you are so handsome and you are gaining fame and I don't want to detract from you or make you look bad. I can get by fine in my own skin until it's staring me in the face and I have to look at myself. And when I look at us both together I can't help but think you could do so much better than me. So, what are all these fans and important people going to think?" Marti looked into your eyes then brought you into a long and loving hug. "You are the most important person to me, (Y/N). I want everyone to know how much I love you." You gave him a genuine smile. "I've got this interview for a magazine tomorrow, could you go with me?"

"I wouldn't miss it."

The interview took place in a fairly small room with few people, meaning you were very visible even though you were just standing at the wall. The woman asked him fairly standard questions to begin with, commenting on chart singles and musical influences. "How are you finding your new fame? Is it difficult to stay grounded?" Marti seemed to pause in thought for a moment before answering. "Not really. I've known the guys since high school so it can still all feel very normal at times. And I tend to leave Marti on the stage or the screen and I can just be Mark to my loved ones. It helps to have that split." The interviewer nodded as if she personally understood his answer. "Speaking of loved ones, you have become quite the heartthrob. I am sure the ladies are dying to know if they have a chance with you. Are you single?" Marti gave an awkward laugh at the question. "No, I am very happily in a relationship. That's her right there. I don't know how I got so lucky with the most beautiful woman I know. She is my world, perfect in every way." Marti's eyes never left you as he spoke and you found it difficult not to cry.

A few more questions were asked but as soon as the interview was over you walked over to him. People began setting things up for the photoshoot. You could really see the love in his eyes. "I meant every word, (Y/N)." You nodded and gave him a kiss. You hadn't realised the photographer had been watching you two. "You guys are so cute together! I have to snap one of the both of you, even if it doesn't make it into the magazine." You agreed to it, not feeling like hiding anything anymore.

You made sure to find a copy of the magazine as soon as it had been printed, despite Marti's embarrassment about looking for his own magazine. As soon as you held it in your hands, you were speechless. Right on the front cover was the picture of both of you. You definitely had to have it now. When the cashier scanned it, she recognised you from the cover. "That's a great photo, you make a really lovely couple." You grinned wider if that was even possible. You and Marti would treasure the issue for a long time.